Polbeth Nursery School Blog

Block Play

Fantastic block play from the morning children this term!

Lucy explored measurement, balance and height as she built a magnificent tower! To begin with, her tower would tumble but through fantastic problem solving and thinking skills Lucy managed to over come initial hicuups and built a tower as tall as herself!

“I want it to be bigger than me”.                                                    “It is wobbly and falls!”.

“This is my tower and I am going to live in it!”.

Rosie build a wonderful castle using the large blocks.

Rosie has explored weight, shape, size, length, symmetry and pattern to create her structure. She added three tiers to the top and built a seat to sit at to look through the window!

Rosie invited her friends over to visit. They helped make seats outside so they could sit and chat through the window!

“I built a castle! This is my window and it has three chimneys!”

Callum has been very busy outside working hard with the bricks! He wanted to build a house and set to work on building walls!

“Its like mono blocking”. Callum also shared his knowledge on how to make cement – “you need sand and water”. He independently built his walls with skill and accuracy.  Callum’s walls looked fantastic! As Callum used the bricks to build he is also exploring wider world concepts and is becoming aware of different kinds of jobs people can have.   “I am a builder!”.

As the children explore and build they are developing their spatial awareness and risk assessing what works, how and why and assessing the safety of their structures. Great job!

#Buildingforsuccess

#Language#Creativity#PhysicalDevelopment#SocialandEmotionalDevelopment

#MathematicalConcepts#Shape#Pattern#Measurement#IndependantProblemSolving