Scurvy….

Did you know that pirates took dried food as well as animals onto their ship?  They would eat the eggs and milk when the animals still had food, when they ran out of food for the animals they would be butchered.

Pirates used to salt, dry and pickle a lot of their food as they did not have fridges, freezers or cans like we do.  During the journey their food would rot but they still needed to eat it.  However, when they were near land they would land and take on fresh supplies.

We pretended to be pirates this week on a long journey.  At first, our rations were hard tack biscuits, dried fruit and pickled cabbage (so we would not die of scurvy).  Luckily our food was not rotten.  We all really enjoyed the hard tack.  Olivia would have soon been the captain as she was the only one who liked the pickled cabbage and would not have got scurvy.

Then the captain said that land was near so we got a map to find fresh supplies.  We collected pineapple, corn bread and pawpaw.  We also managed to catch fish but not sea turtles.  We all much preferred these rations although we missed the hard tack!

108_2133

108_2128108_2129

108_2130108_2132108_2134

One thought on “Scurvy….”

1. Hi Primary 1h,

I think I would have eaten the pickled cabbage like Olivia just so that I wouldn’t get scurvy! The hard tack sounds okay but I wouldn’t have liked to eat rotten food and would have looked forward to being on land to get new supplies. Great photos of your learning again this week, P1h.

Miss Henderson