Our week in p7b

This week we continued our learning about the rainforests of the world.

Lauren U: “We learned about the different layers of the rainforest. The top layer is the emergent layer and you would find most of the birds and butterflies up there.”

Kieran: “The emergent layer is roasting hot because it is closer to the sun. Emergent trees poke out above the canopy.”

Ellie: “The next layer is the canopy and different animals live there. It is still quite hot there and looks like a giant green umbrella.”

Kai: “We would find animals that swing such as spider monkeys or orang-utans or climbing animals such as sloths.”

Kendal: “The next layer down is the understory. It’s dark and damp because there is not much light getting through the canopy.”

Adam: “You would creatures in the understory like emerald tree boa, tarantulas and red eyed tree frogs.”

Callum: “The bottom layer is the forest floor. The conditions are very dark, wet and damp. The ground is sand but covered in dead leaves and plants.”

Isla: “Down there you would find things like jaguars, driver ants and gorillas.”

Jay: “I learned that in the rainforest chimps bang on trees to let other chimps know where they are.”

Antonia: “Elephants are the only animal that can eat belly button fruit because their horns point downwards which lets them open them up.”

Nathan: “I learned that tribes can make a tent out of leaves in less than an hour.”

Isla: “A bushbaby urinates on its paws and then spreads its scent all over the jungle!” 

Emily: “I learned that elephants go to these parts of the Congo rainforest called byes where they will hang out with each other. They scratch their bums against tree trunks!”

Jay: “I learned that glass frogs have see-through skin and you can see all of its organs.”

Kai: “Elephants help new trees grow by eating the fruit then spreading the seeds in their droppings.”

Ellie: “In the Congo, the elephants have made tracks through the jungle which lead to the different byes.”

Who has impressed?

Lauren C: “Lauren K and Kendal impressed me because even though we got beaten by Simpson Primary at the netball festival we still came second.”

Kendal: “I’m proud of Antonia for getting 80 out of 80 for Big Maths Beat That and congratulations to everybody else who got their best score.”

Antonia: “Nathan has impressed me because his hair has looked nice for the last two weeks!”

William: “I’m proud of Callum for getting 55 (his best) in Big Maths Beat That this week.”

Kieran: “Kendal has impressed me by being a good friend by sticking up for them.”

Chloe: “The Electric Eels table impressed me by winning table of the week for three weeks in a row.”

Adam: “Jack has impressed me because he has almost reached step 5.”

Mr Berginis: “I was really impressed with the descriptive writing the class did about the Journey of a Raindrop. They used lots of similes to describe the animals and the conditions and I look forward to displaying them up on the wall.”

One thought on “Our week in p7b”

1. Hi Primary 7b,

You’ve had another very busy week in school learning all about the rainforests. I enjoyed reading all of the facts about what you have been learning. I’m impressed with how many people are beating their scores on Big Maths Beat That. Well done, everyone.

Miss Henderson