It’s a pirate’s life for me!

We have been very busy this week adding lots of things into our floorbook on Treasure Island. We have also been asking questions and writing them in the book so we can think about what we want to learn next. It is exciting that we get to choose what we want to learn!

105_2372

105_2373

On Monday we made hard tack biscuits! These were made by pirates on their travels and were easy to make as there were only 4 main ingredients. These were:
1. Flour
2. Milk
3. Butter
4. Sea salt

105_2364

Eva – I ate mine. It was good!
Donna – I thought it was great.
Archie – I ate some of it, but my dad wanted to eat the rest.
Hannah – I ate mine and it was soft.
Tamsyn – I didn’t like mine, but I put jam on it and it tasted nice.
Aaron – It was fantastic!
Maisie – I liked it because I put jam on it.
Dylan – I didn’t like it so I put it in the bin.
Shaun – I thought it was fantastic and I took a big bite of it!

There were lots of opinions on the hard tack biscuits, but I think we all agreed that eating the same things every single day on a pirate ship would not be very nice. We talked about foods we really disliked and how that would be to eat those foods every single day.

Yesterday we were learning about all the different jobs you could have on a pirate ship. Some of these were:
-Master Gunner
-Captain
-Chef
-Cabin boy
-Boatswain
-Carpenter & surgeon
-Rigger
-Master Sailor

We looked at what all these jobs entailed and then we got into groups of 3 and we had to perform actions in front of the rest of the class. The class then had to guess what job we were performing just by looking at our actions and what we were saying. This was really fun and everyone did a fantastic job in this role play task.

105_2376

We have also started learning about coordinates and this will help us to create our own treasure maps! We have made one in class and here are some pictures of us pointing to coordinates and telling the class what they are:

105_2371

105_2367

Next week we want to learn more about pirate language and what they drank on the ship! We are excited to learn more 🙂

Have a lovely weekend!
-Miss Wilson & P1w

One thought on “It’s a pirate’s life for me!”

1. Hi Primary 1w,

WOW! You have been learning lots about pirates this week. I’m looking forward to seeing your floor book and seeing all of the things you would like to learn about. I saw the biscuits in the staff room and didn’t think they looked very tasty. What a good idea to out jam on them to make them taste better, Tamsyn and Maisie. I’m glad I don’t have to eat the same thing everyday.

Have a lovely weekend.

Miss Henderson