Dawrin Explorers in P5m

This week in topic the Darwin explorers have been looking at plant adaptations and the special features plants have to survive in their habitats. We are now going to create our own species to live in a habitat we have previously created!

• Pondweed has long stems to hold it to the river bed.
• Daisys are brightly coloured to attract insects.
• Venus Flytrap can trap insects.
• Climbing plants grow up other things to get sunlight eg Ivy and Honeysuckle.
• Holly had red berries in winter which are easily seen by birds.
• Thick leathery leaves mean plant can retain water in different temperatures eg Ivy and Holly in cold temperatures and the Cactus in extremely hot temperatures.
• Some plants have prickles and thorns to stop them being eaten by wild animals – eg Holly, Cactus and Hawthorns.
• Bluebells store food in their bulbs.

This week I enjoyed learning about the Cactus – Ross

This week I really enjoyed learning about the Ivy and the Cactus plants – Abigale

This week I enjoyed looking at the Venus Flytrap because it was really cool! Sophie and Nadia

I enjoyed learning about the Ivy plant. Lily

I learned that birds see red really well and it is their favourite colour! Craig.

Josh learned that the leaves at the bottom of the Holly trees are more prickly than the ones at the top so that animals don’t eat them.

Abby learned that the Cactus stores water under its thick leathery skin.

In writing we have been learning about contractions – using an apostrophe to join two words to make one shorter word.

I learned this week that you can use an apostrophe to join 2 words together to make 1 shorter word! Taylor and Erin M.

Travis has enjoyed learning how to use an apostrophe.

Some other things we have learned…….

Leon learned that earth once was a ball of lava! Leon – wow!

Through my mini project I learned that the Volcano Maunaloa is the biggest in the world. It is 5,486 metres high! Ava – wow!

I learned about Cobra snakes, that when they are born the baby snakes sometimes kill or eat their sibling’s heads. Adam – wow!

As you can see, P5m have been very eager Darwinian explorers this week!

We are all looking forward to Fitness Fortnight!

One thought on “Dawrin Explorers in P5m”

1. Your Darwin exploring work sounds very interesting – David Bellamy eat your heart out! (Although you probably all have no idea of who he is!!). Well done 🙂