P7 visit to Botanic Gardens

On Monday P7 visited the Botanic Gardens. On the bus there we spoke about old stories and when we got there we walked to a little jungle room and had our snack. Next we strolled to the aquarium where I bet Connor half his cookie that there wouldn’t be any piranhas. Let’s just say that was a very nice cookie! Next we visited an ancient tree, the oldest tree in the UK (over 320 million years old.) We trekked up to the Chinese Hillside and then proceeded to the gift shop. We then walked back to the den where we had some lunch.

After lunch we strolled to a glasshouse and we all split up into groups and had to locate some plants. We had to find strangler figs, vanilla plants, leafs which had good driptips and also mini bananas. We also saw a ginger plant and tried some in a sugar coating. In the next greenhouse there was a giant emergent tree. Emergent trees are the tallest in the rainforest and can grow up to 60 metres! We also looked at some bamboo and heard how it is used in the rainforest as a torture device!

Next we assailed to another part of the glasshouses which was really full of plants. There was a plant called Old Man’s Beard hanging from the vines and a deadly plant named Poison Arrow Bush which hunters use the poison from to kill monkeys. After that we shuffled to the big pond area and we saw cocoa pods, sugar cane, papaya and a little shop which showed all the foods found in the rainforest. Next we collected up our bags and it was time to go.

Some quotes:

“The best part was when Adrian used the blowpipe and blowdart to shoot the balloon monkey. It was so fun.” – Aisha

“It was really interesting.” – Murray

“It was good fun searching for all of the things like Old Man’s Beard and Vanilla pods. “ – Abbie

“We got to try some different foods and I discovered I like papaya!” – Ali

“I very much enjoyed the visit to the Botanic Gardens and I would happily go back!” –  Connor

Report by Rhona Donald p7b

2 thoughts on “P7 visit to Botanic Gardens”

1. Hi Primary 7b,

It looks and sounds like you had a great time at the Botanic Gardens. I remember going there when I was a primary school which is a long time ago now so I think it might have changed a bit since then.

I hope you’re enjoying your Rainforest topic and the Amazon Challenge.

Hope you’re all having a lovely weekend.

Miss Henderson

2. P7b, you certainly learned lots on your visit to the Botanics, which will help with your learning in the classroom. Who has completed most of the Amazon challenges – I know there are some really exciting challenges for you to complete!