Home learning week beginning 08/06/20

Good morning everyone. I hope you all had a lovely weekend.

Here are your suggested tasks for the week. Remember, you don’t need to complete everything if you don’t want to.

week beginning 08-06

Numeracy: This is a maths quiz with a difference! It’s an ACTIVE maths quiz! For each question there are three answers with three different exercise moves, you have to decide the correct answer and complete the exercise that goes with your answer. No paper or pencils needed for this one! The quiz has a 5 minute wait at the beginning so you should just skip this. This is a chilli challenge so you can decide which one to complete. If you find a quiz too easy, you might want to try a harder one. Or you might want to start with the least hot and work your way up. It’s completely up to you!

EXTRA HOT

HOT

SPICY

MILD

Try the BBC Bitesize Maths challenge which will be uploaded here on a Friday:

BBc Bitesize Maths Challenge

Times table practice! You can either complete the whole thing and record your score/time or you can set yourself a time limit and see how many questions you can get done in the time. If you don’t get it all completed in your time, give it another go and see if you can beat your score.

Ultimate Times Table Challenge

Money Maze – work out the best way to move through the maze.

I have also included some outdoor maths activities you can complete IF the weather is nice.

Challenge Cards

MM: 

lines of symmetry

money problems

DD:

lines of symmetry

3d x 1d

AA:

number bonds to 100

shape hunt – what shapes can you find outside? If you find a different shape add that to your list too!

Literacy:

Please try to find a little bit of time each day to read a book of your choice.

Countdown – we have played the Numeracy version in class but why don’t you try the letters version. Pick between vowels and consonants and try to make the longest word you can!

Pobble 365 – complete some of the activities for your chosen day.

Again, I have included an activity based on Superheroes and one on a Disney song so you can decide which one you want to do (or both if you prefer!)

Tangled

black panther

Today (Monday 8th June) is World Oceans Day so I have included a reading comprehension based on plastic pollution, how it affects the oceans and what you can do to help.

AA: Plastic Pollution AA

FF: Plastic Pollution FF

CC: Plastic Pollution CC

Topic: How did we get on with the research last week? This week you are going to use what you learned and create your own dish. I thought it would be fun to take something that isn’t very posh… and it make it look posh! So your challenge this week is to make beans on toast look fancy. I have some pictures you can use as inspiration –

This looks a little different to the beans and toast I have! I think it looks fabulous though… and very posh! This dish is called:

‘Beans on Toast 5 Ways’ – Cheesy beanos: baked beans on fried bread croutons with a melted parmesan crust, a baked bean puree, crushed bean croquette, beans on toast roulade and a bean juice with a burnt toast crumb.

Good luck creating your own posh beans on toast. Remember to send me photos of your creations!

Writing: Your writing task for this week is to create the description for your posh beans on toast using some of the fancy cooking terms. You can use the description above to help get you started.

You could also write the recipe for your posh beans on toast. Remember, recipe writing is an example of instructional writing; you need to use bossy verbs and be very exact. You also need a list of ingredients used. I have included a checklist for you to make sure you include all the key features.

key features of instruction writing

Art:

Have a look at these weird and wonderful (but very real) headlines. Can you create a picture to go with one of the headlines?

PE: Last week I gave you some activities based around the Olympics which would have been held in Tokyo this year.

Travel to Tokyo

Have a look at last week’s blog and complete some of the activities that you might not have completed last week.

HWB: How did you get on with your quizzes last week? This is an activity based on what you did last week. For this activity you need to think about where you will be and what you would like to have achieved by the time you are 12, 16, 21 and so on.

my life journey

ICT: BBC dance mat typing – This is a fun way to learn how to touch type. Touch typing is a very good skill to have; this activity encourages you to learn where all the letters are without looking. It takes lots of practise so you should take your time and don’t rush. Rome wasn’t built in a day! There are 4 levels and new letters are introduced as you progress.

When you’re trying this activity, make sure you are comfortable, with your back up straight. We don’t want any sore backs!

RME: Before we stopped school, we looked at some inspirational people and how they have changed history and society. We learned about Martin Luther King, Malala Yousafzai and Emmeline Pankhurst. Can you remember why they are inspirational? They fought for their rights. MLK fought for racial equality whilst Malala and Emmeline fought for gender equality. Unfortunately, racial inequality still exists in the UK, America and all over the world. You might have heard some stories about what has been happening in America after George Floyd was killed. Here is some information about what happened and why:

George Floyd

I am also going to include a resource which you can look at with your parents at home. It has lots of resources that you can use to educate yourself on racism and what can be done to stop it.

BLM resources

Science: Choose an activity from the list:

Science challenges

Life skills:

Life Skills

Non-screen activity:

Non-screen activities

Have a great week everyone. If you have any questions, please leave a comment or email me. As always, if you have any photos of your learning, you can send them to gw18burnsidephotos@glow.sch.uk