Last day!

Good morning everyone! Well as you know, today is the last day of term before we finish up for summer. Just a quick message to you all before we finish up. I have had a fantastic year with you all – each and every one of you made this year so special and memorable for me. I looked forward to coming into class everyday to see you all. You have all made me smile and laugh everyday. I have no doubt that you will all do well in Primary 5.

Even though we can’t celebrate our last day in the way we all would have liked, it does not take away from how proud I am of you all. Well done for keeping up with the online learning and trying your best. As I have always said, that is all I ask from you and I hope you continue to do this in Primary 5. It was so lovely to see some of you yesterday and hear how you have been getting on and I can see that everyone at home is also proud of how well you have dealt with this situation.

Lastly, have a fantastic summer! Enjoy every second of it before you start your new journey in August, whatever that may look like and face that with the same bravery you have the last few months. Again, thank you for making this year so special for me also. I am going to miss you all so much. Good luck for next year 🙂

And a kiss from Freddy!

Home Learning 22.06.20 – Last week!

friday Inspirational quotes Positive #Positive #life #inspirational

This weeks tasks will be a little different. If we were in class we would have been doing lots of fun activities to celebrate the last week. Unfortunately, we obviously will not be able to do this – so I will giving you some of those activities this week to do at home. These are just suggestions to you can do as much of these as you can or more if you wish – you can go back to previous weeks work if you missed anything.

Maths
Extra Activities
  • Summer mindfulness colouring – you could draw your own summer picture also.
  • Can you think of things that you learned this year for every letter of the alphabet? A-Z of the school year
  • Come up with your own comic book story. It could an imaginative story, one of your favourite events from this school year – your choice. Don’t forget to include captions, speech and lots of colour – Comic book template
  • Invent your own machine – it can be anything you want. Machine invention
  • Write a bucket list of things you would like to do this summer. Even though the holidays will be a little different than we expected, there will still be lots of fun activities you can do – summer holiday bucket list
  • STEM challenge cards

Have a great week, even though it is a short school week 🙂

Bitmoji Image

Sports week activities

1. Obstacle course

Resources – This is for you to be creative (and safe) by making your own obstacle course.

Aim – complete the course in the fastest time.

Each player should be given the chance to complete the obstacle course against the clock. The player who completes it quickest wins.

Points –                    1st – 3 points    2nd – 2 points     3rd – 1 point

Feel free to comment your scores from the week. Good luck and have fun 🙂

Sports week activities and check in!

1. HIIT challenge

Resources – Stopwatch

Aim – to complete the HIIT workout in the fastest time (each family can decide on a number they think they can challenge themselves with).

10-20 sit ups

10-20 press ups

10-20 jumping jacks

10-20 squats

The person who completes this quickest is the winner

1. Chest push

Resources – something to measure a distance (e.g. tape measure), ball (football/basketball)

Aim – to throw the ball the furthest distance

Holding the ball in two hands at your chest, take two attempts at throwing the ball.  Someone should record where the ball touches the floor.  Record the best score for each player.

Points –                     1st – 3 points               2nd – 2 points        3rd – 1 point

Also time for a weekly check in – comment below to let me know how you are and what you have been up to. I have been in school this week and it has been lovely to see some pupils and teachers. I have been keeping myself active and trying out some new recipes. I hope you hear from you all soon 🙂

Miss McAvoy 🙂

Sports Activities

• Long Jump

Resources – tape measure (if possible), something to mark the starting line and name tags to mark the final jump position.

Aim – Who can jump the furthest?

You can choose whether it is a standing jump or a running run depending on your available space.

Each player completes 2 jumps with the best score being taken forward.

The person who jumps the furthest is the winner

• Shuttle run

Resources – stop watch, two items to mark two distances

Aim – Complete the most shuttle runs in 3 minutes

Marking two distances in a straight line (e.g. 5-10m apart) in an open space, when the timer begins run in a straight line from the first marker to the second marker and run straight back down again.

1 point is awarded for one COMPLETE shuttle run lap i.e. from the starting point, to the top marker and back again (one full lap) = 1 point.

Good Luck! Don’t forget to send your pictures – gw18burnsidephotos@glow.sch.uk

🙂

Home Learning 15.6.20

Goooood Morning Room 8! I hope you had a lovely weekend! Here are your positive quotes for this week.

See what is inspiring us to create sustainable surf inspired fashion, surfbikinis & surfwear | Surflife | Tropical | Life of a Surfergirl | Explore the collection on www.zealousclothing.deUploaded by Dánae 💀. Find images and videos about quotes, life and wallpaper on We Heart It - the app to get lost in what you love.

Here are your task suggestions for this week:

Reading

Here is an extra story you might like to read for pleasure based on our mini-topic – Tales from Africa.

Spelling

Red: Common words – does, changes, show, think, same, month, together, work, Sunday Saturday.

Blue: Common words – tell, large, spell, still, saw, own, small, something, live, give.

Green: Common words – which, what, bring, long, three, again, these, people, too, school some, never.

Grammar

Conjunctions – you will know these as Connectives.

Chilli Challenge
Group Tasks

I have also attached an example for each group to assist on how to lay out each question. However, you do not have to write out the questions this way if you have another way you prefer to do it. Everyone works in different ways so do what helps you.

HWB

Here are some more task suggestions based upon our mini-topic. Feel free to look back at the suggestions from last week if there are some that you still want to complete.

• Research food from a country in Africa and prepare a meal based on my findings. Find out about foods that are grown and produced in different parts of Africa and label where they come from on a map.
  • Find out what the world ‘famine’ means and the effect it has had on some African people.
  • Complete this Africa Word Search – Africa wordsearch. Can you make up your own Africa wordsearch.
  • Make African Jungle Animals Role Play Masks to create a role play about the animals and then share this with someone at home – Role play masks Africa
  • Research African materials and create my own – African fabric colouring
  • Explore and research West African wooden masks and create a symmetrical design of one.
  • Find out about the weather in Africa. Use the map to create a weather forecast. Explain on my poster how the climate impacts on the animals and people who live there.
  • Use a Venn diagram to compare the weather in Africa and Scotland.

Lastly, don’t forget this this week is Sports Week and Burnside’s Got Talent. As there is lots of other exciting things going on this week there will be no Tuesday Challenge. However, you can send lots of photos of what you get up to this week and any photos of your crystals if you took part in last week’s Tuesday Challenge (my crystals haven’t seemed to work 🙁 ).

Sports Week

Below are activities for only today. I will post and update each morning with your activities for that day. Keep an eye on the school app for activities too!

All family members can take part:

• Egg and Spoon Race:

Resources – spoon, hard boiled eggs for each player or a small ball for each player, stop watch.

Aim – run from a starting point to the finishing point with the ‘egg’ on the spoon.

Mark out an area for the race. You can do a double journey to make it longer. Option 1 – All players run at the same time. Option 2 – Each player runs separately against the clock. Shortest time wins You choose – If you drop the egg should you return to the start or keep going.

Points: 1st – 3 points    2nd – 2 points     3rd – 1 point

• Sock Toss: 

Resources – 5 pairs of socks and a bucket

Aim – throw the socks in the bucket from a short distance

Points – 1 point for each pair of socks that land in the bucket

Burnside’s Got Talent

You can record a video of your talent at home and during the week 15th – 19th June you are invited to tweet a video/photo of your performance on twitter.

Tweet @burnsideprim and we will re-tweet. There will also be a special certificate on the app/twitter for you to download as an award from us.

Have a great week and send lots of photos! 🙂

Quick update

Hi everyone! Another week done and I hope you have a lovely weekend. Just a quick update before I sign off for the weekend.

Here is a recipe sent in based on our Africa topic that was tested at home by one of our pupils! Feel free to try out if you wish. They look very yummy!

Also, a few people have been asking to see Freddy again. He was in a very excitable mood yesterday when he had my sister’s bed all too himself. We managed to catch some videos of him so I thought I would share with you. 🙂

Check in

Hi everyone! Check in time again 🙂

I hope you have all had a great week. I have been in school some days this week and it has been lovely to see some pupils and teachers again. We did lots of fun outdoors activities such as rounders and chalk obstacle courses.

Comment below to let me know how you are and what you have been up to. Asking: How's your day?

Tuesday Challenge

Another STEM challenge for you all. Enjoy 🙂

I have attached the instructions below if you also want to have a look through them. We will check back in with our crystals next week to see how they are. I will show you how mine turned out and I hope to see some picture updates of yours also (gw18burnsidephotos@glow.sch.uk). I hope you enjoy your challenge 🙂

Home Learning 8.6.20

Gooooood Morning Room 8! I hope you had a lovely weekend and are ready for your next week of home learning.

Kid Quotes: This powerful motivational classroom 12" x 18" PosterEnvy poster with a colorful message about the good that can be found in every day will help inspire your students how important it is to keep trying! Designed by teachers for fellow educators - this inspiring poster is a best seller and will bring a positive message to your school and inspire your students to do more everyday! #quotes #children #quotesforkids #quotesoftheday #inspirationalquotes

Chilli Challenge: Subtraction revision

Individual group tasks:

• Sqaures: Revise 6, 7, 8 and 9 times tables. Counting in 1000s, 2000s and 5000s.
  • Circles: Revise 3 and 4 times tables. Choose another times table you want to learn. Order a list of 4 digit numbers from biggest to smallest/smallest to biggest.
  • Triangles: Revise the 3 and 4 times tables. Coutning in 10s, 20s, 50s, 100s, 200s, 500s. Revise these questions for quick recall – 5+9, 6+9, 7+9, 5+7, 5+8, 6+8.

Active maths games and activities you can choose from:

• Dice or card game (like we did in class) – you choose what kind of equations you want to do.
  • Knots and crosses multiplication – you can only draw in the grid if you get the answer correct (can be changed to addition, subtraction etc)
  • Make up your own maths board game.

Reading

Writing

CREATIVE-WRITING-TASKS-Part-1

Clicking the link above will give you access to lots of creative writing prompts. Choose your favourite to help you write a creative story. Don’t forget to include VCOP to make your writing more interesting. You could include your thoughts and feelings also.

Spelling

Red: (o) come, some, done, month, mother, brother, none, son, nothing.

Blue: (ie) tried, cried, fried, died, dried, supplied, replied, tie, lied.

Green: (ou) count, house, round (igh) high, right, thigh (y) fly, shy, dry.

HWB

The mini-topic that received the most votes was Africa! This is the topic we will be learning about the next few weeks but if time allows we will do a little work on Extreme Earth as there was some votes for this topic also.

Below are a list of tasks to complete this week about our mini-topic. You can complete as much of these as you like.

• Research different ways of making a living in Africa and compare them to jobs in Scotland. Are there similarities?
  • Use the African Yoga Story cards to do some yoga – Yoga Story African Animals
  • Write a story about going on a safari.
  • Research Tingatinga art and create a piece of your own.
  • Research about the desert and use your knowledge to create a piece of work inspired by it.
  • Find out the names of different African countries and label them on a blank map.
  • Research what is being done to ensure everyone in Africa has access to clean water. Find out how water can be made safe to drink. Share my findings with someone at home.
  • Find out about the daily life of a child in an African country. Compare it to yours and write or draw the similarities and differences.
  • Research how animals in Africa have adapted to the climate and then create a poster to show my findings. African Animals Fact File Activity Sheet – Animal Facts

https://blogs.glowscotland.org.uk/sl/burnsideroom2/ – head over to Miss Ferry’s blog to see the school trip for this week 🙂

I will be in school some days this week so I may not reply as quickly as usual but I will get back to you as soon as I can.

Have a great week everyone 🙂