Alan Parkinson’s Take On Climate Change

Alan Parkinson’s Take On Climate Change

By Brooke Sharkey and Nicole Richmond

Climate Change with Alan Parkinson

On Friday the 5th of November 2021, Lesmahagow High School had an interview with Alan Parkinson. He is the President of the Geographical Association. The Geographical Association aim to further knowledge and understanding of Geography through education. We asked Alan about many different topics to do with climate change including what we can do to help, what the world could look like, and what his involvement is with COP 26.

Here are some of the things that we asked Alan:

“What do you think the world will look like in 20 years?”

• He responded – “I believe the world is constantly changing. Growing up, I lived through the effects of the Industrial revolution, which was a big step in technological advances for Britain. But this is all when the Global temperatures began to rise and when the climate change really became an issue for our planet. But as the world is changing, I do not think this change is good. We are in a new industrial revolution, but we need to act faster than we did 150 years ago.”

“What do you think can be done in schools across the country?”

• He said – “I think many things can be done in schools, from the uniform you’re wearing to the food you eat, a lot of improvements can be made. I think first step is adding the climate crisis to the curriculum. We need to educate from the very beginning of children’s lives so they can help the planet throughout their lives. But even the uniform you wear- is it sustainable? the food that you are being served- where does it come from?”

“How are the Geographical Association involved in COP 26?”

• He responded – “The city (Glasgow) is very much alive. Me, myself isn’t attending, and I would have enjoyed seeing the inside of the conference but we do have a few members going this year. However, there are people who are there and have produced a large amount of carbon through his private planes, and for what reason?

The knowledge and understanding that he had, as well as his ability to answer all of our questions so thoroughly, allows us to really appreciate the work he has done over the years, as well as the work he is doing now. He has used his knowledge to influence and teach thousands of people of all ages and each from different cultures and backgrounds all across the world.

hands, earth, next generation, climate protection, space, universe, responsibility, ethics, nature conservation, environmental protection

Share this Post