Our school aims to inspire, motivate and support learners to reach their full potential by:
- Engaging learners in the highest quality learning activities to develop a culture of creativity, ambition and achievement.
- Providing a safe, caring, happy and stimulating environment in which each learner is valued and supported.
- Fostering high quality leadership and management at all levels.
- Working in partnership with parents, learners and other agencies to support learners to become:
- Successful learners
- Responsible citizens
- Confident individuals
- Effective contributors
We have consulted with parents, learners and staff as to what makes our School Unique:
- Size – we are a small school with a strong family feel and bond. All the learners are in one multi-composite class.
- Location – we are a very rural school, the most northerly on the mainland of Shetland. We respect our unique and beautiful environment in North Roe.
- Community – we are a strong, inclusive community, working together and supporting each other. We are passionate about sustaining our community.
- Child Centred – our curriculum is tailored to meet the needs of each individual learner. Learning activities are relevant, active and fun.
- Ambition – The school is a focus of hope and aspiration for the community, it enriches the fabric of the area. Our learners are encouraged to believe in themselves and be ambitious. We support and celebrate each learner’s achievements.
- Global Citizenship – we take pride in North Roe and our close-knit community but we are also committed to broadening our horizons so that we can be a community of effective global citizens. We are an inclusive school and we celebrate diversity.
- Ethos – we place a big emphasis on positively developing character, educating the mind and the heart, so that our learners are equipped for making a positive difference in this world.
You can read our full Curriculum Rationale by clicking on the document link below: