1. Hi there!

I’m a teacher in Stornoway on the Isle of Lewis and our class is just starting a project about the Chessmen! Well done with your versions; they look great! The exhibition you saw has just come to Lewis, so we’re looking forward to seeing the chessmen very soon.

Our class is a primary 3-5 Gaelic Medium class which means all our lessons are done in Gaelic! Also, I used to teach in a school in the area of Lewis called Uig where the chess pieces were originally found.

Mar sin leibh an drasda (goodbye for now)
    Mr MacKinnon, GM3-5, Stornoway Primary School

2. Thank you for sending us a comment and we do not have a kiln because we use air drying clay.

3. Thank you for sending us a comment and there are four pupils who play chess in our school.

4. Dear Burravoe Primary and Mrs. Breyley,

You taught me something new today! I had never heard of the Lewis Chessmen before. Your writing was very informative.

I loved seeing the chessmen you made out of clay. You gave each piece such character. My students have never worked with clay. I know they will really enjoy seeing your video.

Do you have a kiln at your school or access to one? I was also wondering if any of you play chess?

From,
    Mrs. W

5. Dear Burravoe School
    I have found it very interesting reading your posts about the Lewis chessmen, and then seeing your video of your clay models.

You managed to show good detail on your clay models and it made me wonder if carving detail into walrus tusk would be very difficult!

How many of you enjoy playing chess?

from Mrs McKenzie

6. Hi Mrs Breyley and class
    thanks for visiting our blog and leaving a comment. I really liked your slideshow of your clay chessmen. They all looked fantastic. Well done!!!

Miss Docherty and The Brilliant Bloggers (Chapelside Primary in Airdrie)