#ShareOurLearning

Gathering Learning from around Scotland

January 10, 2020
by The Banton Biggies
Comments Off on First Week Highlights 2020

First Week Highlights 2020

A few nice things from this school week.

We were doing some character description in our writing today. We watched The OceanMaker, which is a great video and the pupils wrote short pieces of text focusing on describing Katrina. They produced some great work.

Jonah came up with:

Katrina was gently holding her big wound. Glancing at her bloody hand, washing all the blood away with her painful tears.

We have been working on the grid method of multiplication I challenged some of the children to make something to teach younger children about this. Heather & Rhea made this video.

I hope there will be some more videos next week.

We have a new pupil, Kaitlyn, who is setting in well and working hard: Welcome to the Biggies Kaitlyn.

We had a visit from a Pedagogy teacher Mr Dorman today he lead the class in some Number Talks, the pupils worked hard, behaved perfectly and enjoyed the lesson. We look forward to Mr Dorman coming in over the next few weeks to help with our maths lesson.

I posted earlier about:

Cardboard Engineers

Brilliant teamwork!

Finally we have been trying Minecraft Education Edition to support our maths, here is some Minecraft Multiplication Visualisation!

January 9, 2020
by The Banton Biggies
Comments Off on

I have achieved my health and well-being target.  I can do 20 press ups and 20 sit ups.

Tips

-when you do  press ups keep your eyes on the ground. And keep your back Straight.

-when you are doing sit ups keep your feet on the ground. And keep your hands under your shoulders.

January 7, 2020
by The Banton Biggies
Comments Off on Cardboard Engineers

Cardboard Engineers

The Biggies are always enthusiastic about making things. Today we spent an hour reviewing and making examples of different ways we could join Cardboard.

Gusset Join
Several Cardboard joining techniques
Making a 3d poster of cardboard modelling techniques

The joins included, flanges, gussets, L- Braces, slots, tabs and several more techniques.
We hope this will stand us in good stead later in the term.

December 11, 2019
by The Banton Biggies
Comments Off on Christmas Art 2019

Christmas Art 2019

A while back the Biggies created some Christmas Art on their iPads for the NLC Christmas Art Competition. We had a Winner. But here are all our entries. The Class are getting really skilful at using the Brushes App for painting. Many show great understanding of layers and how to use them.

November 29, 2019
by The Banton Biggies
Comments Off on Highlights of the Week 29-11-2019

Highlights of the Week 29-11-2019

We have crammed in so much this week that it is hard to remember it all. We also were so busy that we took far fewer photos than usual.

We continued our preparation for the Christmas Fayre, 3 group organising the making tree ornaments, Santa faces and some cookies.

The children did really well under the pressure of a deadline.

The Fayre went really well too, the class selling the decorations they produced, their Christmas Calandars and other items.

These activities targeted our food preparation skills, especially measuring and kneading.

After all the fun of the fair on Thursday we had some more fun on Friday, we made fruit skewers and cooked them over the fire pit. This gave us more practise of our cooking skills, chopping and cutting. Some children practised using lives safely to cut kindling and we were all safe around the fire. We were so busy looking at what as going on we didn’t even get one photo! The class were brilliant and keeping safe and following or fire pit rules. they built, lit and fed the fire. We even managed a bit of literacy, thinking of adjective and alliteration.

During all of this we found time to practise our Christmas show, this was made very enjoyable for the staff by the excellent behaviour and enthusiasm  of the whole school.

Finally playtime saw the invention of The Banton Snack Van!

Imagination, creativity and practical skills in the playground. The Banton Snack Van serving up fresh piles of tasty leaves. pic.twitter.com/vRCIUi6EzN

— Banton Primary (@Banton_Pr) November 28, 2019

November 22, 2019
by The Banton Biggies
Comments Off on Highlights of the Week 22 November

Highlights of the Week 22 November

It has been a short week but enjoyable week.

The Biggies impressed me with the singing they are preparing for the Christmas Show. Mrs Rae has got them all singing with great enthusiasm, they sound great.

A couple of children ticked off their Health and Wellbeing targets by improving their press ups and filming for evidence.

The class are working in groups to plan and make items to sell at the Parent Council Christmas Fayre next week. They co-operated very well in planning and the first group “The Jolly Hollies” lead the class through making some salt dough while I sat and watched. I am looking forward to the other groups leading next week.

Finally we had a great 8 minutes writing settings today. Amazing concentration and fascinating descriptions for the class.

November 15, 2019
by The Banton Biggies
Comments Off on Scale Model Dens

Scale Model Dens

The Biggies are great den builder at playtime. In this wee project we made scale models of dens by making scale models of the pallets, tarps and pipes in the playground. We measured all of these in the playground, scaled the size down and made mini pallets, pipes and tarps. We used these to make model dens. I’ve added some quotes from the biggies e-Portfolios below.

Last week we went outside in groups of 3 to go to measure the width and length of all the palettes, tarpaulins and crates outside.
Our teacher put all the measurements in a app called numbers then made it move all the numbers up by 100 to change metres to centimetres then divided them all by 10 to scale them so we can make our tiny dens.
After doing all the calculations we measured it out into small pieces of cardboard then put shapes on the cardboard to make them look like pallets. Then we stuck the cardboard together, then measured the tarps to make a roof. quickly we made a flag out of spare parts to finish up our den and that’s how we built our den.

Heather p6

I have learned how to scale things into scaled models. I measured meters and centimetres outside whilst I was measuring pallets, crates, pipes and tarpaulins.

Charlie p4

We put a bit to much glue. we made a little up stairs. it kept falling.
How we solved those problems
The glue made it a bit slippery even though it is supposed to stick but we worked with it and we started making supports.
We connected pieces to their one corner we were using. it went pretty well at first then we had to make a stair case. That did not go well. we started making supports. We made it a bit longer. We made a slide

Josh p4

Once we had planned out our scaled down model we started to make the palettes out of cardboard. We took a set square to try and make the right angles of the palettes. Then once we had made all of our pallets and made shore they all had a right angle, we need to assemble the den, we could have used a lot of glue, but we tried to use as little as possible, so we cut slots into the cardboard and slotted them together to make shore they would stand.

When we where making this scaled down model the skills we used were Creative thinking, problem solving, planing and organisations, communicating, leadership, Literacy, working with others, ICT, numeracy and practical skills.

Jess P7

Skills I used I used my Communication skills to talk to my group and my numeracy skills to measure. And we used our problem solving skills when we didn’t put a enough glue no the middle of the den. We solved this by putting more glue on.

Ben p5

My group face some problem like the up stairs kept falling down so we kept holding it down and count to twenty, to let the glue set. Also we were drawing right angles we used a set square to help us.

Alice p5

Personally I think we did brilliant because at first we where measuring pallets in meters to having this amazing den.

Jonah p6

We made models of dens. We went out side and measured the tarpaulins , pallets and crates. I learned to measure In metres and centimetres.
Then we came inside and typed the measurements up on numbers. We moved the measurements up to 100 to turn into centimetres and Divided them by ten. That would scale the sizes down.

Kirsty p5

November 6, 2019
by The Banton Biggies
Comments Off on Sparrows Galore

Sparrows Galore

Heather and Rhea have been putting out our nature watch birdcam. On Thursday they got over 1000 photos of birds on our feeder before the battery ran out. Mostly sparrows.