June 18, 2017
by Caroline Breyley
0 comments

Scottish Opera – Tam O’Shanter

This term we have been working with the Scottish Opera Education Team towards a performance of Tam O’Shanter. We have worked with Mrs Lesley, our music teacher, to learn the words of the songs of the Tavern Crew (which was our part) and worked with the repetiteur when he came to practise the songs with all the schools in the North Isles and from Ollaberry.  All of this work came together when the Scottish Opera group came to Yell for the day and rehearsed with everyone; at the end of the day was a public performance.

This is a video of the performance. We are sorry that there are a few minutes missing from the end but the ipad ran out of space!

June 16, 2017
by Rosie Lyth
0 comments

Chicks

Today the chicks are sadly leaving because they are getting too big for the box in the classroom. We have incubated them for about three weeks we have kept them for three weeks as chicks all together we have kept them for six weeks!

June 16, 2017
by Phoebe Lyth
0 comments

Guides

For about a year I have been going to Guides. I’m the only one who goes to guides, but soon my Unit leader is going to start Brownies at the same time, so maybe some other people can go to that. I have done 2 or 3 Go For Its and working on another one at the moment. The next one we are doing is outdoor cooking. The Go For Its that I have done are Take Your Toothbrush (which is just a sleepover for the whole Unit) and Breaking Barriers. Go For Its are badges you do with patrol but we don’t have patrols at the moment so we do it with our whole Unit. I have done 2 badges and I’m working on my 3rd. I’m working on my cooking badge and I’ve done my craft badge and my agility badge. I’ve done my promise so when you do that you get a promise badge. I also have another badge that my Unit leaders got for everyone and it says I love Guides on it. Every badge you get (apart from the promise badge) you have to sew on to either your T-shirt, jumper or club blanket. I really love Guides and I want to keep going for as long as I can.

June 16, 2017
by Honor Smith
0 comments

Edinburgh Trip 2017

Me and Phoebe went to Edinburgh with the rest of the P6/P7 from Mid Yell, Cullivoe and Baltasound. We left on Sunday nights boat and arrived on Monday morning.

Monday

When we woke up we got on the bus and drove to Stirling, first thing we did there was we climbed the Wallace Monument there was 246 steps! Next we went to the Battle of Bannockburn center it was really cool you had to put on 3D glasses and the battle happend around you. Then we went into a separate room and re-fought the battle the Scots won! Then we drove to the Toby’s Carvery and then the hostel I was sharing a room with Jessica, Sabienne, Emma, Phoebe and Malin.

Tuesday

I was really exited for Tuesday because it was our first full day in Edinburgh! We went to the castle but we couldn’t go that day so we ended up walking the royal mile. Next we went to Camera Obscura it was really fun! After that we went to dynamic earth and touched a real iceberg! Then for tea we went to Cosmo’s and after we went to watch a film Me and Malin went to watch the new Pirates of the Caribbean film, it was AMAZING!

Wednesday

This was my favourite day!When we woke up we were all super exited for Butterfly World! But before that we went to the Museum of Scotland. Then we went to Butterfly World it was so hot in the greenhouse it was so warm we saw Turtles! Then we went through to a much colder room and held a millipede, snakes and the one I was most worried about the Tarantula. Me and Malin agreed we would both hold the tarantula my heart stopped as it started crawling up my arm but the man took him off. Then we got ice lolly’s and ate them outside in the play park then we drove to Pizza Hut and then went bowling. I won second place!

Thursday

We woke up and went to M and D’s it was so much fun! My top 3 rides were the Pirate Ship swing, the mine roller-coaster and the drop water slide was SOOO FUN! M and D’s was good fun!

Friday

We drove to Aberdeen then we went shopping then the boat home!

I really enjoyed the trip and if I could I would definitely go again!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

June 16, 2017
by Mara Bordeianu
0 comments

Roller Disco

At the Leisure Club on Thursday and we did the roller disco mostly in the hall and then after that we did dodgeball. It was fun.

June 16, 2017
by Hannah Hay
0 comments

Golf

On Wednesday I did golf with Fetlar School. Mrs Hay, Darcy,  Imogen and Aaron came from Fetlar. Mara was my partner in golf. You had to hold the club a certain way. We got 5 points.

June 16, 2017
by Sonia Poniecka
0 comments

Burravoe Carnival 2017

On Saturday the 10/06/17, it was the Burravoe carnival. our theme was a, tv programme called I’m a Celebrity get me out of Here, all we had to do was dress up as a celebrity, or a animal. I dressed up as Adele, this time my brother, went on our float as well, my brother was dressed up as Tavish Scott. Whenever there were lots of people, we had to throw gummy worms, and shout I’m a Celebrity get me out of Here. We also got to, eat some of the sweets, but we also needed to pretend that the, gummy worms were real worms, so we needed to make a disgusted face, when we ate them. We won second prize. We decided to give the £50 to the charities that Elsie chose.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

June 16, 2017
by Abby Taylor
0 comments

Cricket

For a few weeks in P.E. we have been doing cricket. We haven’t played a proper game yet, We have just being playing mini games with a batter, a baller, 2 defences and stumper (a stumper is just a word a made up to describe the person that stumps the ball to get someone else out.

June 5, 2017
by Emer Smith
0 comments

Carnival prize signs for the Floats

We got asked to make the signs for carnival floats to show who won for the best looking float. We are also making a walking one to see who is the best dressed young person to walk all the way from the Burravoe Hall to Brough.

June 5, 2017
by Emer Smith
0 comments

Gardening

This morning we planted onions. we work out how many is in each row there was six in each row. There was about 100 in the packet of onions. We also did earthing up the tatties. It means putting the soil over the tattie leafs from showing out of the soil. One way to do it is to to cover it up with the soil around the tattie or you can get some more soil and put it on the tattie.

May 29, 2017
by Caroline Breyley
0 comments

Hatching Chicks

We have had 6 hen eggs in our incubator for nearly 21 one days; we thought we had timed it so they would hatch after our long weekend but 2 have decided to come early!

This is the second chick starting to pip.

This is the second chick hatching – he gets tired very quickly.  It’s hard to get good pictures because of the reflection from the incubator!

Even though it’s a holiday not everyone has missed the first chicks!

May 23, 2017
by Hannah Hay
0 comments

The Beach and The Old Haa

Yesterday we went to the beach and the old Haa, first we went to the beach and we found some sea Snails. I found some shiny Rocks. In the sea I saw a seal and it was quite far away. There was also Three Rock pools, and in one there was a thing that looked like a worm but we didn’t know what it was.  After that we went to the old Haa and there was really good paintings and I thought that they used water colours. My favourite picture looked really nice and  she used bits of china from the beach for the clothes on the washing line.

May 9, 2017
by Abby Taylor
0 comments

Chicken Eggs

Yesterday we got 6 fertile chicken eggs. We put the eggs in a tray 3 on each side on one side we put water on the tray and the other side we didn’t. Before we did anything we had to wait for the incubator to heat up to around 34-35 degrees. Then we put the eggs in the incubator now we have to wait 3 weeks for them to hatch.

May 8, 2017
by Hannah Hay
0 comments

The Swan

We went on the the Swan and thing we had to do first is go under and speak about safety. The thing I liked the most was putting the sail up and my other favourite was the hot chocolate! We also learned to tie knots, I learned the reef knot. We also had to put on our life jackets.

May 5, 2017
by Mara Bordeianu
0 comments

The Swan

Today we went to the Burravoe Marina to go on the Swan and my favourite part was when Maggie  taught us how to tie some useful knots on big boats and little boats.We got hot chocolate and we pulled up a sail and before we started  we went below decks to learn the safety things and we got our lifejacket on, saw the toilet and the emergency exit and got on decks again.