Comparing Lives – Scotland and Japan

scotland flag japan 1

Learning Outcome:

By comparing the lifestyle and culture of citizens in Japan with those of Scotland, I can discuss the similarities and differences.  SOC 2-19a

Skill for Learning: Analysis – I can compare and contrast lifestyles in Japan with Scotland by using my own personal experience and research.

Task

In order to get a better understanding of life in Japan you will be researching what life is like for children and adults living there now. You will need to think about the similarities and differences between life in Scotland and Japan. You have your own personal and experiences of life as a child in Scotland but you will need to interview a few adults to get more information about what life is like for them.

For Monday 5th September you should interview at least one adult (parent/grandparent/aunt/uncle etc) to find out about their daily routine and their role in the family. Some suggested questions you might want to ask:

• what time they get up?
  • do they have a job? Have they always had the same job? what age did they start working?
  • what do they enjoy doing in their spare time?
  • what do they enjoy doing with the family in their spare time?
  • what is their role in the family?
  • what daily chores in the house do they do?

Please record your findings.

2 thoughts on “Comparing Lives – Scotland and Japan”

1. Hello

I am contacting you after reading online the assignment set by Miss McDowall in 2016.

My name is Allana Hardie and I am from Stranraer, in South West Scotland. After becoming fascinated with Japan and its culture for some years I finally managed to arrange a trip and am almost 5 months in to my year long visit to the beautiful country of Japan.

After spending quite some time already in Japanese society, especially after 4 months on the most Northern island, Hokkaido, I have identified quite a few similarities between Scotland and Japan – whisky, seafood, both island nations, love of outdoor pursuits and driving on the same side of the road to name a few.

I am now looking to research this further and perhaps do some writing about it during the rest of my time here. This is how I came across your assignment and am curious to know what the outcome of it was? I understand this was a while ago now but would be interesting to know what your pupils thought.

I hope to hear back from you,

Allana Hardie

1. Hi Allana,

The pupils loved the topic and found many similarities like yourself: food, islands, love of sports and home life. They also found differences such as school life and traditional clothing. One of our pupils even visited Japan after enjoying the topic.

I hope you have a wonderful time during the rest of your travels.

Mr McAvoy