😎 Wednesday 3rd June ☀️

Good morning!  👋🏼 Have you all dressed 👕👖, made your beds 🛏 and brushed your teeth 🦷 ? Great! Then let’s begin!

Literacy:

It’s Wednesday so that must mean it is time for us to practise our comprehension! 🔎

Wednesday 3rd June

Comprehension

I can skim and scan a text to locate specific information.

Warm Up:

This week we are looking at ‘-al’ words.

To warm us up today, practise your spelling words of the week by selecting one of the spelling tasks below.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Main Task:

For something a little bit different today, I have chosen a garden bird comprehension for you all to do.   First, read the text:

Here are this week’s questions:

9. What effect could a cold winter have on goldfinches, redwings and fieldfares?

10. Why do you think the Big Garden Birdwatch happens every year?

Extension:

Do your own birdwatch!  This could be in your garden or when you are out on a walk. Which of these birds can you spot? (Admittedly, it is quite ambitious to expect to see an owl but you never know!)🦉

Maths

Warm Up: Mental Maths

1. If I have £10, £5, four £1’s, three 50p’s, two 20p’s and a 5p, how much money do I have in total?
  2. How many 5’s are there in £1.05?
  3. What number comes halfway between 130 and 230?
  4. Round 6,783 to the nearest 1,000
  5. Double 93
  6. What comes next? 44,657    43,657    42,657    41,657
  7. Use the > or < symbol to compare these two numbers: 54,300 ___ 54,299
  8. Make 3,200 100 times smaller.
  9. What is the difference between 1,231 and 1,247?
  10. Write seventy-six thousand in digits.
  11. 1,459 + 230
  12. I am facing North. I make a half turn.  Which direction am I now facing?
  13. Write the closest multiple of 6 to 32
  14. Partition 89,547
  15. What comes next? 1   2   4   8   16 ____?
  16. What is 45 divided by 5?

Main Task: Formal Subtraction

03.06.20         Subtraction

I can work out and record subtraction calculations using formal methods.

Today we will be solving 4-digit subtraction sums which include borrowing.  Here is an example:

Remember, if the number on the top row is smaller than the number beneath it, then we must borrow from the column to the left  ⬅️

If you would like to have a reminder of column subtraction, watch this BBC Bitesize clip and complete the two quizzes below: https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/zy2mn39/articles/zc78srd

Activity 1: 4-digit numbers, with borrowing

Activity 2: Word Problems

Can you solve the following word problems?  Beware of information that you don’t need! 🧐

Remember when setting out your sum the largest number must always go on top.

1. There were 1165 cups delivered to a shop. Half of them were pink. The other half were blue.  237 were broken when they arrived.  How many cups were unbroken?
  2. Harry had £2257 in his bank account. He had been saving it for 14 years using his birthday money. His mum let him spend £1329 on a special mountain bike.  That he could use in 112mile race.  How much was left in his account?
  3. Sue collected 4212 tokens when she spent over £50 on her shopping. She swapped 1675 of them for a day at a theme park which was 112 miles from her house.  How many tokens did she have left?
  4. Bill’s story was about Dinosaurs and it was 1561 words long. Ben’s story was about pirates and it was only 1395 words long.  How many more words did Bill write than Ben?
  5. There are 2615 pages in my book. It is the seventh book in a series. I have read 1293.   How many more pages do I need to read before I can move onto the eighth book?

Traffic Light today’s work and leave a comment to say how you found formal subtraction today 🚦

Extension:

Choose one of the Topmarks games to practise your subtraction skills or head over to Sumdog to work on your mental maths speed and accuracy!

https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/7-11-years/addition-and-subtraction

🇫🇷  If anyone would like to brush up on their French skills, I stumbled across a fantastic YouTube channel yesterday.  A teacher called Mr Innes is creating French lessons whilst schools are closed.  One day 1 he covered French family members 👨‍👩‍👧‍👦👴👵: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uufNle_7H94

Have a Wonderful Wednesday!

Miss Donaldson 👻