Our Lady of Good Aid Cathedral Primary School

September 29, 2020
by Mrs Campbell
0 comments

Wednesday 30th September 2020

School and nursery staff had a very constructive inservice day last Thursday. We used Education Scotland’s ‘Transforming Learning’ toolkit to reflect on current practice within the nursery and school and began to think about changes we could make within the playroom and classrooms over the coming months to engage children more in their learning. Cathedral is full of creative, innovative practitioners and it was great to see staff think outside the box and put forward some exciting ideas about how we could transform learning and teaching across the school. These ideas will feed into our 2020/21 School Improvement Plan.

The current situation makes it a bit more difficult to consult with parents and other stakeholders about developments within the school. However, as we develop our School Improvement Plan for the 2020/21 session (slightly later than usual), it’s important that you have the opportunity to share your ideas and views. Our provisional 2020/21 shared Nursery/School priorities are:

1. Raise attainment and achievement by reviewing and refreshing our Nursery – Primary 7 curriculum
  2. Raise attainment in literacy and numeracy through the effective use of data at all levels
  3. Increase the effectiveness and impact of learning and teaching across the school, with a particular emphasis on pupils leading their own learning

We would welcome the views of parents and carers on these priorities over the next couple of weeks. You can either use the ‘comments’ link at the side of this post or email me directly. A draft copy of the plan will also be shared with the Parent Council prior to it being finalised and submitted to the local authority.

September 28, 2020
by Mrs Campbell
0 comments

Tuesday 29th September 2020

Good morning! I hope you all had a relaxing September weekend and managed to enjoy some of the sunshine that came our way.

We have another two First Communion masses this week. Please pray for the following Primary 5 pupils who will receive their First Holy Communion in Our Lady of Good Aid Cathedral this evening:

Lila Salamonska

Weronika Studzinska

Ava Tarditi

Lucy Verrechia

Kian Weldon

Jack Paterson

Leyton Pender

John Ross

Jordan Brown

September 22, 2020
by Mrs Campbell
0 comments

Wednesday 23rd September 2020

Many congratulations to those pupils who celebrated their First Communion last night. It really was a beautiful Mass. Please keep in your prayers the following Primary 5 pupils who will receive their First Holy Communion in Our Lady of Good Aid Cathedral this evening:

Emily McIlvanney

Michael McGinnis

Jared Lafferty

Julia Lis

Nina McCarthy

Molly McCarthy

Jacob McKean

Emma O’Hara

Kornelia Mirek

Please remember that tomorrow is an inservice day and that Friday and Monday are holidays. I hope everyone has a lovely long weekend… see you on Tuesday.

September 21, 2020
by Mrs Campbell
0 comments

Tuesday 22nd September 2020

Many congratulations to all twenty-two pupils who made it onto this week’s Good Work Wall. As you can see from the photograph above, each and every one of them were worthy winners of a sticker and two House tokens. Well done, everyone!

Our first group of Primary 5 pupils will receive their First Holy Communion in Our Lady of Good Aid Cathedral this evening. Please can I ask our whole school community to keep the following boys and girls in your prayers throughout today:

Emma

Miley

Leo B

Sophie

Ava

Olivia

Leo K

Anna

September 20, 2020
by Mrs Campbell
0 comments

Monday 21st September 2020

As mentioned in one of last week’s blog posts, we are in the process of exploring a manageable and sustainable way of setting homework for Cathedral pupils and providing them with prompt feedback on their work. Although all classes are now set up on GLOW and Microsoft Teams, a number of classes will be piloting a programme called ‘Seesaw’ over the next week or so to see if this provides a more effective system for providing online learning and helping pupils and parents stay connected with the school. I’ll be in touch as soon as we know how the pilot has gone.

Please can I remind parents and carers that this coming Thursday is an inservice day and that Cathedral Primary will be closed on Friday 25th and Monday 28th for the September break.

September 17, 2020
by Mrs Campbell
0 comments

THIS WEEK’S SUPERSTARS!

Nursery (am) –

Nursery (pm) –

Primary 1a – Joseph

Primary 1b – Charlie

Primary 1c – Lara

Primary 1d – Emilia

Primary 2a – Cezar

Primary 2b – Jayden

Primary 2c – Philia

Primary 3a – Sophie

Primary 3b – Jack

Primary 3c – Sophia

Primary 4a – Macy

Primary 4b – Freya

Primary 4c – Sienna

Primary 5a – Sophie

Primary 5b – Arianna

Primary 5c – Annalise

Primary 6a – Zofia

Primary 6b – Joanna

Primary 6c – David

Primary 7a – Luka

Primary 7b – Logan

Primary 7c – Holly

WELL DONE, EVERYONE!

September 16, 2020
by Mrs Campbell
0 comments

Thursday 17th September 2020

Our first two groups of Primary 5 pupils will receive their First Holy Communion at two separate masses in the Cathedral next week. Although things will be a bit different from normal, the restricted numbers will hopefully allow Mass to feel more intimate and special for the children and their families; I have no doubt next week will be a very joyful and memorable occasion for the boys and girls. Please keep the children in your prayers over the coming days.

We have had a number of queries from both parents and teaching staff about the current arrangements for homework. It’s important that any temporary arrangements are manageable and sustainable and that they work for everyone: pupils, parents and staff. For this reason, I want to take a few days to discuss and explore options with staff before making any adjustments or changes. I’ll be in touch as soon as we’ve reached a decision on how best to proceed. Thank you for your patience.

September 15, 2020
by Mrs Campbell
0 comments

Wednesday 16th September 2020

After memorising the children’s names in Primary 4b on Monday, I successfully committed the names of all Primary 4c to memory yesterday afternoon. I’m looking forward to spending some dedicated time in Primary 5a today and learning the children’s names in the process.

It was great to meet the Parent Council for the first time (even though only virtually) on Monday evening. I have been asked to communicate the following points from the meeting:

The Parent Council would like to pass on their thanks to the school teaching and support staff for all the hard work that has obviously gone into making the school a safe environment for the children to go back into.  Feedback from the transition back to school is that the children have been fantastic in the way they have adjusted to the new rules in place.  The teaching staff have worked hard in the background to ensure that these new rules have not detracted from the normal, relaxed, and fun environment that school should be.  Thank you.

With the start of the new academic year we find ourselves with places on the Parent Council.  We are looking for people who can devote a small amount of time to support the school staff in delivering care and education to our children.  We are especially, but not only, looking for parents of those children newly joined the school at P1 and in the nursery.  If anyone would like to discuss what is required please approach the school who will put you in touch with a member of the Parent Council.

September 14, 2020
by Mrs Campbell
0 comments

Tuesday 15th September 2020

Well done to the twenty-two pupils who made it onto this week’s Good Work Wall! As you can see from the photograph above, the children produced work of a very high quality and were all worthy winners of a sticker and two House tokens. Well done, boys and girls!

It was an absolute pleasure meeting all the nursery boys and girls properly yesterday. One little girl had clearly been doing her homework on me:

Me: ‘Does anyone know who I am?’

Nursery child: ‘Mr Young!’

Me: ‘Does anyone know what my job is?’

Nursery child: ‘You’re the Head Teacher!’

Me: ‘What does a Head Teacher do?’

Nursery child: ‘Paperwork!’

It was music to my ears when I found out that the nursery children have their names written on their shoes: learning their names will be so much easier.

Of course, I don’t have this luxury further up the school. However, I did manage to memorise all the names in Primary 4b yesterday afternoon and will be working my way through the other classes in the purple bay during the course of this week.

September 12, 2020
by Mrs Campbell
0 comments

Monday 14th September 2020

I had a very busy, but thoroughly enjoyable, first week here in Cathedral Primary. As well as having meetings with Derek Brown (Executive Director, Education & Families), Brendan Duffy (our school’s Quality Improvement Manager), and the other OLHS cluster Head Teachers, I also managed to have dedicated meetings with the Lead Practitioners from the Nursery, our three clerical staff and the Head Teacher from Firpark Primary.

On the to-do list for this week is to spend some dedicated time in our Nursery as well as the classes in the purple bay, meet online with the Parent Council this evening, get together with our support staff and last (but certainly not least!!!) of all, meet with teaching staff after school on Thursday.

Please can I take this opportunity, once again, to thank everyone for making me feel so welcome during my first week. I feel very much at home in Cathedral Primary already!