Buggies Rock!

This afternoon we have been making Buggies to carry a rock down a ramp.  We used old boxes, wooden axels, wooden wheels and anything else we could find in the class room.

We got the chance to use real saws and learned how to use these safely, but we won’t use them at home without our parents.

Each team worked together to make one buggy that they designed and tested to see how well this design worked.  We all worked very well in our teams.

If you want to try making your own buggies here are some of our ideas from the time we spent doing it (We tested ours so we know what we’re talking about):

• Gather all the materials you need before you start.
  • Make sure you make the axles big enough so that the wheels can fit and still move.
  • be careful when gluing the wheels incase you stick them to the buggy.
  • Try making the buggy stronger because the rocks were heavy.
  • Some of our wheels fell off, but some people used a bit of blu tac to hold theirs on.
  • We’d like at some point to decorate ours, so try to leave time for this as well.
  • Be careful of the height of the wheels as the buggy might touch the ground.
  • Make sure you have an adult to watch and help when using the saw.
  • If making holes with a pencil make sure you use a sponge and push the pencil into it.

Every one of us worked very hard on this task, and Mr. Flanigan is very impressed and very proud at how well we did today.

If you try making buggies we hope you have as much fun as we did. Please take some time to comment on our work.

Be safe and have fun.  Primary 3

4 thoughts on “Buggies Rock!”

1. What fabulous buggies and what fabulous teamwork P3. I liked your tried and tested ideas about making buggies. Keep up the good work!

2. I like your 3d shape pictures and I also like evreything else I am very impresed with you p3 wrote by nicola coles son

3. I love that you have given us the instructions to make our own! You look like you had so much fun making your buggies! I must come and see them 🙂

4. This looks great P3, well done. I can see you have also used your Junior Genius skills of designing machinery to make these Buggies work. It would be great if another class can use your instructions to have a go at making a buggy.

Do we have some on display at the front of the school, if not it would be great to get some down there.