P3K Home Learning Week Beginning 8 June

Good morning boys and girls!

I can hardly believe it is the start of another brand new week!

First a HUGE CONGRATULATIONS  to you all for winning the Travel to Tokyo GOLD medal last week.  We are very proud of all the efforts you are making to keep active.  Keep logging those activities.  Wouldn’t it be fantastic if we won gold again?

Please also remember to keep an eye on the Health Week page for information about our up coming “Health Week with a difference”!

Thank you so much to all of you who have shared your work with me via Teams, e mail or Twitter.  It is great to see what you have been up to. I can see that you have all been working hard to keep your skills sharp and your brains busy.

I hope that the activities below will help to get you thinking over the week to come!

Reading

This week I’d like you to read some poetry.  The poem below rhymes.  Read it to yourself or to/with a grown up.  Can you spot the rhyming words?  Have a go at completing the rhyming activity.

Nose Poem

Rhyming Words Activity

Writing and Health and Wellbeing

This week I’d like you to think about what you would do in an emergency.  Do you know when and how to call 999?

Watch the two video clips below.

Teaching Children to call 999

A lesson in calling 999

Now click on the link below to see some story cards.  Can you decide which situations would require a 999 call, and which would not?  You could print them, cut them out  and sort them, or you could just talk about them.

999 Scenarios

Finally have a go at writing some instructions for calling 999.  Remember to give your instructions a title (How to call 999).  Each instruction then needs a number, and to start with a time word.  Click on the link below for a reminder about how we set out instructions, and a word bank with might be useful.

How to call 999

Maths

I hope you enjoyed last week’s maths challenges. I have a few more problems for you to solve this week.  They are all to do with money. When you open the Tooth Fairy Challenge pick the page which you think is the right level for you.

Money Problems

Tooth Fairy Problems. Pick the one that suits you best!

Money Powerpoint -An extra challenge!

Remember to keep your skills sharp by visiting Sumdog and Active Learn too.  It’s not too late to get in touch for log in details!

Science

Can you keep a weather diary? Over the next week keep an eye on the changing weather.  Record whether it is windy, raining, cloudy or sunny.  The weather can change quickly in Scotland so you will need to record the morning, afternoon and evening weather.  You can use words, or symbols to record what you observe.  You can make up your own weather diary, or use the one below.  Watch a weather forecast on the television.  Look carefully at the map and make sure you know where Elgin is!

weather record

Rights Respecting Schools

Our Right of the Week this week is Article 15 Freedom of association.  This means you have the right to socialise with friends who you choose.  This is a bit tricky right now, but there are definitely ways to keep in touch!  You could write a note to a friend who lives near you and post it through their letterbox.  You could speak with a friend on the phone, or chat with them online.  I think some of you chat whilst you are gaming.   I know a lot of you will need some help from your grownups with this  but keeping in touch with your friends now will really help us to feel happier when we go back to school!

Final Challenge

My final challenge for you is something that will really help everyone when we go back to school.

Do you know how to tie your shoe laces?  If not, use the time we have now to practise.  It would be great if everyone started P4 able to do that for themselves.  If you can already do it pick another skill to try and master.  Riding a bike, starting the washing machine, knitting, sending an email.  The choice is yours!

I hope to see you all at our Teams Meet up on THURSDAY at 1pm.   Simply come onto our class Team page and I will open up the meeting at 1 o’clock.

Remember to keep sending me pictures of what you have been up to.  It is great to see all the different ways you are learning at home,  You are all superstars!  Keep up the great work, and keep smiling.

Mrs Kirkman

FROM A LITTLE ACORN GROWS A MIGHTY OAK