December news letter

December 14th 2012

Dear Parents and Children,

So far so good and we have not had to have a snow closure yet. Keep your fingers crossed though as we have a few things to get done before term ends and snow would make it just that little bit trickier.

Thankfully the weather behaved itself yesterday and we were able to get to the Panto and back even although we had to take the long route to Inverness. The panto was good, the costumes sparkly and the children enjoyed it greatly.

School Bus delays

You will be aware that the traffic lights are making a bit of a nuisance of themselves at the moment and causing delays for Colin getting the bus through at his usual time. Thankfully they do seem to be getting the work done quickly so hopefully we won’t have to be held up for much longer. Thank you for your patience and understanding in the meantime.

Press Release

The recent article in the Press and Journal highlighting the running costs of Inveravon Primary compared to those in larger towns may have unsettled you a bit. I can assure you that I was completely unaware that this was going to be printed and although factually correct (for the most part) I felt that the article would have been improved if it had also mentioned that Inveravon is still the only primary School in Moray to have received an excellent award from HMI.

On that note I was recently invited along with Mr Laurence Finlay (Head of Schools) to the national conference held in Livingston for the launch of the “Its My Future” DVD which includes three film clips about Inveravon. You may recall that this was filmed last June to capture what we do at Inveravon to be shared nationally as an example of excellent practice.

You can find this at www.journeytoexcellence.org.uk

Christmas Lunch 

This was enjoyed by us all again today and thanks go to Mrs Cornes and her team in Aberlour Primary for doing all the cooking  and also to Mrs McBain who is our dinner lady and who always serves us with a smile.

Christmas Concert

I am looking forward to our own concert next Tuesday night December 18th

This year we have taken a different approach and have opted for amore traditional theme with some well known songs, carols and Christmas poetry recitations so you will have plenty of opportunity to join in. There will be the usual raffle and festive fayre after the show is over which is one of our Inveravon traditions……….(I can remember the first one!) It’s a good chance for our school community to get together in a happy and relaxed environment and I always the chance to catch up with you all.

Many thanks to Mrs Allison Gillies who has given up her spare time over the last six weeks to come into school to teach the children the songs.

The show will start at 7pm and children should aim to be in school at about 6.45pm so that they can calm their last minute nerves.

School Uniform should be worn (quite a few children expressed a desire to wear uniform including our two senior pupils John and Neil so we are respecting their views as this will be the last concert for them). The children should wear something sparkly or festive on their heads e.g antlers, baubles etc.

The Parent Council have already contacted you requesting some food and nibbles etc for the “after concert party” and I would appreciate it greatly if some of you could help with setting out the food and clearing away again. I know how good you all are at getting stuck in at these events.

Carol Service  Wednesday December 19th

This is yet another Inveravon tradition that I really enjoy and look forward to and I hope to see lots of you there. Once more we will welcome the staff, children and parents from Glenlivet Primary who will join us as usual for the service which starts in the church at 10am. This will be followed by Teas, Coffees etc back at the school. Reverend David Whyte will officiate as minister.

Christmas Party Thursday December 20th

I am really looking forward to the school Christmas party again as it’s always such a great afternoon. Even after all these years I still really enjoy sharing this special time with the children and it is the highlight of my year. Hopefully Santa will be able to make it again as I know how good the children have all been. The party food will be prepared by staff next Thursday morning in school and school lunch will be earlier that day so that we can get the party started promptly.

Please note that all the children will go home together on the bus at 3.15pm 

School will close at the usual times for the Christmas Holidays on Friday December 21st.

All of the above will of course be weather permitting and I will keep the phone line updated should there be any changes. In the meantime keep warm and stay safe if you are out and about on the roads.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from all at Inveravon Primary

Kind Regards

Mary R Smith

Head Teacher