Nurture Room

My name is Miss McNicol and I am the Nurture Teacher in Lady Alice. I work with Mrs McCann to help children of all ages across the school.

The Nurture Room is a room which is designed to look like a home environment. We share a snack every day as part of our learning.

Each morning I work with the same group of pupils to help them develop their skills for learning. We work on listening, giving attention, understanding the world around us and most importantly, we learn through play.

In the afternoons I work with older pupils either in small groups or individually. Each group is different and we may work on developing an understanding of emotions and how to regulate these; building self esteem and confidence; developing an understanding of how to respond to different situations or developing social skills through games and activities.

Some children will come to the Nurture Room for a long time and some for a short time. Each pupils’ need is different and we look at this when planning the timetable.

Inverclyde Council