Why I chose teaching..

Over the years I have had many jobs. I have worked in retail, admin and sales to name but a few. Every time I changed job there was talk of starting a career, promotion etc. but there was always something missing.

My most recent job title was UK Sales Administrator and I worked for a factory in my home town that produced designer Jams and Marmalades. I always worked hard and showed commitment but the job didn’t satisfy me.

I remember one afternoon in particular; it was the countdown for Christmas and the office was in panic. Everyone was bustling around, ranting and raving, and it was then that I took a step back. I thought to myself, ‘All this nonsense for what? Jam!’

I decided I wanted to be part of a profession that meant something. I wanted a career where I could make a difference, so I started volunteering within local primary schools.

I knew that teaching was for me when I came home in the evening with the feeling that I had accomplished something and that THAT meant something!

In terms of the kind of teacher I want to be I would say an adaptable teacher. A teacher that understands the advancements and developments in the world and rises to every new challenge. I want to be an inclusive teacher, a teacher that works hard to cater for all her pupils. A teacher that explores new avenues and reflects on her own practice.

If, at the end of my career, I can look back over my time teaching and feel that I have positively impacted the life and the learning of even one child I will feel accomplished.

That’s why I chose teaching.