Why are so many Students performing poorly in maths ? Part 1 Data

Students performance in maths ( and all other measures) have been steadily declining in Scotland.

Below are PISA scores from the Scottish Gov Website.

A steady decline .

(We will see in December 2019 if this trends reverses , don’t hold your breath.)

Another graph based on country comparisons. We can see a massive decline since 2003, the worst in the UK

The now scraped  SSLN data

What has happened ? Is it a problem  with our general society ? Why then have we  declined in comparison to England.

The problem must surely lie with our school system. I will expand on this  conclusion in future posts.

(I have focused on maths in this post but the same results are replicated for literacy levels. )

Elements of Teaching

I stumbled upon Will Emeny’s website a few years ago and have always been impressed with his clarity of thought . It was Will that started me on my path into the research of memory. Thanks Will for this and for  Num Ninja’s , still  having  a high impact on my classes for years ( completely free of charge).

He recently had another great idea a periodic table of teaching , I have been following weekly for updates but instead I thought I would use his idea to help create my own version. Not as good as Will’s will eventually be but a start.

Follow the link below to see my fledgling attempt.

https://glowscotland-my.sharepoint.com/:p:/g/personal/wlbarry_whelan_glow_sch_uk/EXOZo9hABiBNh1ltoI7-fhcBKcR_FM2PdhBVslmIgVVk_A?e=66Sbol