Update 1

(My Enquiry Focus – alternative methods four operations)

I recently read a new publication by Jo Morgan

” A Compendium of mathematical methods “.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Compendium-Mathematical-Methods-handbook-teachers/dp/1912906600/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=jo+morgan&qid=1579703019&sr=8-1

I found this book enlightening. I especially like the scripts Jo put in for explaining these new concepts to students ( I will adopt these in my enquiry).

Jo confirmed that there hasn’t been much research done in this area

” For most topics in school mathematics, there has been little research into the ‘best’ methods.

— In more recent years, alternatives have emerged, and we are now left with a plethora of wonderful methods to choose from.” pg 9

Jo presents the methods without bias but believes it’s important for teachers to understand a variety of methods

” For if you take just one thing from this book, let it be this: we need to talk about methods.” pg 341.

My initial experiments with new methods have been going well in some areas, the new addition method has given a significant boost in post-test of addition, which is promising.

I do have some concerns with boundary examples of the new methods especially in their application to decimals

Subtraction

Multiplication

Both of the new methods require a much deeper understanding of place value.

In not sure if this is good or bad.

The group I’m targeting won’t focus on decimals as they are at level 1 Cfe but it worries me that this method doesn’t have as broad applicability.

11 thoughts on “Update 1”

1. Hi Barry

Hope you are well – thank you for your reflections – I can see that you have been giving it a great deal of thought. What impact do you think your intervention is having on pupils are this early stage? you mention specifically an impact on using addition strategies – how are you measuring this?
    Lesley Ann (LA)

1. Hi, Lesley thanks for your comment. I’m measuring at this stage using a pre-test and post-test. For the addition, section student made significant progress but I would like to see if would hold in their long term memory, so will retest after a significant delay as well.

thanks
      Barry

2. Hi Barry,

It’s great to see how your continuous reading had impacted on your thinking- it sounds like a great text.

I think you’ve flagged up a really important issue to consider further- is this method meaningful and relevant for the target group of learners? if they haven’t covered decimals will they be able to engage with this or is this akin to running before they can walk?

Could an alternative method be explored to this one? One that affects the visual of the method but not the knowledge needed to engage with it?

Some things to consider 🙂

1. I have just noticed that my early reply to you has not shown up. Sorry for the late reply.
      They have some awareness of decimals having been exposed to it in primary school , they certainty haven’t learned it though so I take you point on board.
      I try and link the understanding to manipulatives we use as a class , eventually putting these aside and getting to grade level content. I think this is important as I want to reduce the gap between this group and others. I have thought of ways I could get round the decimal problem in future years with slight alteration but I fear I am down the rabbit hole at this point and want the kids to reach mastery before any alternative is introduced.
      I give all the students a test after each learning episode and reteach material based on the underlying misconceptions until we reach an 80% target. Not possible with my other classes but I have complete curriculum control with this lot.

thanks for you comment.

3. Hi Barry,
    I’m torn in my thinking here! On one hand the idea that they need to further develop their understanding of place value makes me delighted and think that this is clearly the way forward. However on the other hand I feel that for a group of learners that aren’t ready for that it could put them off or just really not be suitable. I suppose it does come down to the idea from your author that we as teachers need to have a wide variety of methods to hand to match to the needs of specific learners at different times. Does your most recent reading have other methods more suited to lower ability groups?
    I’m finding your enquiry fascinating and looking forward to seeing where you go next.

1. Thanks for your interest. I am bit torn myself to be honest and understand your concern ( I share it). What made me try with this group though is that they have failed to pick up the traditional method with at least 4 years of trying.
      It also link well with some of the manipulatives I use but I’m aware I need to get them to mastery by the end of the year unless the may go into another class and be exposed to a different experience , if they are not firm with this method it may cause more problems. I could go either way to be honest. I may conclude it was a bad idea.

4. Hey Barry,

I’m just reading some of the comments- It is important to keep in mind that the beauty of enquiry is that it is exploratory. No-one is expecting you to produce a shiny, ‘correct answer’; you’re entitled to try something and it doesn’t work. The important part is deciding what to do once you realise it isn’t quite working the way you’d hoped.
    On reflection, if you need to shift focus, peddle back or try a new direction that should be actively encouraged!

Remember to check-in with me via email or phonecall if you wish to discuss this further 🙂

5. Oh sorry if that’s the way it’s came across. I’m not sure if it’s working but it might , I find that exciting. I might conclude that I’ll go back to teaching it the other way but I find that interesting.

6. Hi Barry

It is interesting to see there isn’t much research in to the best method to teach maths.

i find a lot of my colleagues like the book – How I Wish I’d Taught Maths: Lessons learned from research, conversations with experts, and 12 years of mistakes by Craig Barton.

Maybe you should be the person to do this research and write a journal article?!

1. Thanks for your comment. Yeah, I love that book.
      There are lots of books on the best ways to teach maths but not a lot comparing different ways of completing the basic operations.
      Thanks for the boost of confidence in terms of the journal article, maybe if I do my master one day.

7. Hope all is going well with you Barry and you are finding time to look at your enquiry. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me for help,
    LA