What I did

My enquiry was to improve the learning of the four main operations for the learners furthest behind their piers from Primary school. These learners are given an extra 2 periods in S1 maths, they are all level 1 in terms of Cfe and have a variety of ASN.                                 These pupils are in danger of not gaining basic numerical skills to cope with everyday situations.

This was to be achieved by teaching new methods of addition subtraction, multiplication and division.

The purpose of these methods was to link in with the manipulatives I use to teach and with mental methods.

I was looking to measure this impact by seeing improvements in pre and post-test, a greater rate of progress with the intervention group and an improvement in student confidence through a pupil survey.

I did not manage to complete the second pupil survey due to the covid-19 impact but will monitor this next year.

I would have also liked to share more of my experience with colleagues in the department and will aim to do this when I am back live in the flesh.

4 thoughts on “What I did”

1. Hi Barry – thank you for your reflections. It seems like you have some conclusions to draw from your work so far. If you had to bullet point these what would they be? What impact did the talking to children alone have? Do you have any comments/insights that pupils have shared with you so far?
    LA

2. This sounds like a good outline for task 4c, thanks for that, I do love a scaffold. I will try to answer them all in that blog. Coming soon.

3. Hi Barry,
    Thanks for this sum up. It might be good to consider what you think the second pupil survey would have looked like based on your observations of them and your feelings about their confidence? Did you perceive them be more confident after your intervention?
    Katie

1. Hi, Katie thanks for having a look over it. I did feel they had gained a bit of confidence, success breeds confidence but will be interesting to see this last going into next year.