Personal audit & transferable skills

Activity 1

1. Below are a list of skills and abilities. Complete an audit of where you are now. Record this in your learning journal/portfolio.

Rate yourself (1=Not very well developed; 3=very well developed)

Skills and Abilities

1

2

3

Self-confidence 2
 Take risks 2
 Organise and plan 3
Manage Time 3
 Make presentations 2
 Act as a leader 3
 Listen to others 3
 Debate formally and informally 2
 Take notes 2

Although it is important to identify where we are now, it is not enough to stop there. We need to reflect upon how we can develop the skills where we are less confident and how we can transfer the skills in which we are confident and competent.

Activity 2

Complete the audit below, using the information from the table above.

Recognition Reflection Action
Skills already developed How will I use these How do I know (evidence)**
 Organise and Plan  To manage the classroom and ensure everything is kept in order.  I managed to organise my work at school well so nothing got lost or mixed up.
 Manage Time Not falling behind on tasks and making sure nothing is left undone.  Been good at managing my time around school exam times so i can study equal amounts for each exam and make sure things are done on time.
 Act as a leader  To maintain classroom management and ensure nothing gets out of hand.  I did a sports leader course in 6th year at high school which allowed me to take charge along with peers to run and control a class.
 Listen to others  To help with and overcome any problems a child may be having and to make sure every voice is heard.  When I volunteered in a primary school i always listened to the children and helped them overcome their troubles or worries.

** This section should be completed as you identify when/where/how you have used/developed these skills.

Part B – Activity 1

Recognition Reflection Action
Skills not yet developed How will I develop these How do I know (evidence)**
 Self-confidence  Talk more in front of larger groups of people and not be worried about sharing my opinion.  Will become more confident when talking in front of larger groups of people.
 Making presentations  Explore the tools available to make things more interesting and appealing.  Will be more skilled in making presentations using different methods i.e. powerpoint.
 Debate formally and informally  Participate in more debates and don’t be shy when sharing my opinion.  Will develop more knowledge on the topics of the debate and listen to both sides and be more confident in sharing my own opinion.
 Take notes  Practise condensing information.  Will find better formats of taking notes and keep up to date.