What matters to me

Personal outcomes focused practice is important to me as it involves working with the person to determine what is important to them and this might be achieved through Person-centered care and research and evaluation, building on the person’s assets and strengths and where necessary drawing on services and wider supports.

My personal outcomes in class is to encourage and help pupils in my care develop skills to achieve their potential and teach the capacity to be scientifically literate citizens and prepare the foundations for them to go on to a career in science and technologies.

Being trained in John Muir and outdoor trained teacher I am equally interested in some of the E’s and O’S to be covered outwith the normal classroom teaching through outdoor education which in turn will raise awareness of the environment in children. It  pupils to achieve skills for life long learning, developing Scotland Young Workforce.

My participation in the SCEL is already making me look much more closely at what I want to achieve. As SCEL’s intended outcomes from the teacher leadership programme are to impact positively on the learning outcomes and experiences for learners of the teachers involved which in turn benefits the collaborative culture within their school.

I hope SCEL TLP will also allow me to explore what it means by ‘good pedagogy’, to consider what kind of tools could help me capture it and how this could promote better learning in and outwith my classroom.It will also support me to make a difference in the classroom, school and wider community through access to innovative and high quality leadership development programs and activities.

6 Replies to “What matters to me”

1. Hi Rachnna,

You have given a very thorough explanation of what
    ‘personal outcomes’ are in general but I was wondering what your personal outcomes actually are for the programme?

Stephanie.

2. Hi Rachnna…enjoyed your Piece and especially reference to John Muir .Wouldn`t it be great if we could all use outside to enhance teaching,learning and leisure without often wrongly perceived notions of Health and Safety,weather and lack of resources? Would love to hear some of your “Leadership Tips” for this to happen. Christine

3. of course Christine its a learning outside is a great concept and very much included in the primary and secondary curriculum.I know most of the resources and training available for outdoor education is for primary education.There are quite a number of E’s & O’s for secondary schools which can be covered outwith the classroom mainly literacy and numeracy. The risk assessment of surrounding parks and other outdoor learning locations can be once in a year and parents permission forms can also be signed for different groups early in the year.This means a teacher if wants to take out their group,all paperwork is ready.

4. On a similar note, Rachna, I was wondering what your outdoor learning for science consisted of at secondary level? What have you done outdoors?

5. There are some topics with outdoor lessons designed especially for the lower school S1-S3 in the curriculum as bottle rocket,quadrants,pitfall traps,soil samples,testing ph of the soil, STEM activity car of the future . I am also trained outdoor teacher and responsible for Eco-elective group which is for S3 group.We undertake numeracy and literacy fun activities as estimating areas in miles/kms ,counting plants,collecting litter, recycling.