How will I evaluate impact?

Image result for evaluation‘I was  amazed at how quickly all my Year 3 class were able to investigate creatively scientific problems set by the enthusiastic field teachers. It would have taken hours using classroom resources, but they were interpreting their surroundings more confidently than I would ever have imagined. Those who struggle in class were offering suggestions as boldly, if not more so, than the more able. A terrific kinaesthetic learning experience’

‘Properly managed outdoor and adventurous activities can help participants understand risk awareness, risk assessment and risk management and the control measures that are necessary, and thereby help to equip them to deal with the risk inherent in life The Advisory Committee to the Health & Safety Executive.’

Out-of-Classroom Learning

Real world, real learning, real benefits

Education is not something to keep in a box, even when the box is classroom-shaped. The habit of learning, an urge to find out more, is developed when we feel inspired. The world outside the school is richly inspiring, constantly re-energising what takes place within the classroom. It is the source of all our learning – about our history, about our culture, about our place in the natural world and our relationships with each other. This two-way flow can be embedded in every child’s education, entirely at ease within any school’s ethos.

Outdoor learning can benefit pupils of all ages and can be successful in a variety of settings… (it) enriches the curriculum and can improve educational attainment.

Education and Skills Select Committee 2005

Outdoor education can involve working with others, developing new skills, undertaking practical conservation and influencing society. The intended outcomes of such experiences can encompass: knowledge and understanding, attitudes and feelings, values and beliefs, activities or behaviours, personal development and social development. The research team observed young people engaged in activities that, initially, appeared to have a primary focus particular cognitive developments.

I will use descriptions of curriculum-related outcomes in terms of increased knowledge and understanding of literacy and numeracy skills and of the development of values and beliefs about the environment.However, young people also referred to the development of more personal skills (increased confidence, improved social skills and a greater belief in personal efficacy) and, for some, to a (sometimes unexpected) understanding that learning could be fun.

I will follow school improvement plans which are constructed drawing on a wide range of evidence, including assessment information. Assessment of outdoor learning experiences provides valuable evidence to contribute to school improvement plans. To assess individuals’ progress, essential skills may be reported and recorded through learning portfolios, learning profiles and/or reports. Actively involving children and young people in the assessment process helps develop ownership of learning.

I will also be looking at various ways in which achievement is recognised. Achievement awards such as The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award scheme, ASDAN (Award Scheme Development and Accreditation Network), John Muir Award and Millennium Volunteer Award are useful and frequently used ways of recognising and celebrating success in particular programmes.

2 Replies to “How will I evaluate impact?”

1. I am finding it hard to pick out your evidence here, Rachna. Are you planning to create a new assessment sheet to record outdoor learning and/or health and wellbeing? If so, would this assessment be carried out by you or by the students or by both? Do you have a dual aim of increasing attainment through outdoor learning, and increasing confidence and communication skills?
    We are now at the stage of really homing in on what we want to improve, how we want to improve it and the evidence which can show any impact of change.

1. I agree Emma and I realised later in the morning that I mentioned benefits of outdoor learning(meaningful education) and various ways to measure them but have not added much details on my focus area.My main focus is looking at the impact on BGE S1-S3 learners-Outdoor approach for developing Skills for Learning and Work. My plan is to link outdoor education to raising numeracy skills. For evaluation I will use pupil evaluation forms, focus group, dialogue with head of maths and also looking at HGISO-4.Hope that explains my idea of professional enquiry.