What teacher leadership mean to me

Teacher leadership to me is to empower teachers, and contributed to school improvement through this empowerment and the spreading of good practice and initiatives generated by teachers. A range of conditions needed to be in place in schools for teacher leadership to be successful, including a culture of trust and support, structures that supported teacher leadership but clear and transparent, strong leadership, with the head usually being the originator of teacher leadership, and engagement in innovative forms of professional development

The best way to maximise the ‘teacher leadership’ effect is through collaborative working, as then professional knowledge, energy, experience and ideas are enhanced. It is also about practice of involving and influencing others so that learning improves.

The research also shows that when teachers collaborate, in meaningful ways, and provide feedback to each other, their practice improves.

6 Replies to “What teacher leadership mean to me”

1. There are some interesting ideas in your post.

I do agree with the need for there to be a supportive environment within the school to allow for change. To me the main issue with working collaboratively is having time for meaningful collaborations. I don’t agree with the head teacher being the originator of teacher leadership, sometimes a head teacher has been out of the classroom for a long time that they are sometimes removed from what is happening at grassroots level. However a head teacher who is able to be open to discussions on change and supportive of trying new things because if we don’t try we won’t know if they work.

I think that through the Teacher Learning Community model professional discussions can take place as not every strategy can work for every class and every pupil that comes through that classroom.

1. It is indicating to the senior management team who create opportunities for the staff to get involved, not the head teacher in specific.

2. Hi Rachnna,

Well done on completing your first post!

I agree that the collaborative element is very important in enquiry as you’re ultimately aiming to improve practice and share this with others.

I am wondering however your point about the head teacher being the ‘orignator’- does this have to mean that they initiate or assign teacher leadership? or just that they create the conditions for teachers to initiate this for themselves?

Thanks,

Stephanie.

3. Hi Rachna
    Yes, it certainly seems to make a difference if the headteacher is aware of teacher leadership and/or supports a structure that allows teachers to question, investigate and collaborate. As a teacher, I became far more aware of the differences in school structures and supports via the prototype programme last year.
    Emma

1. I have experienced not all the schools support staff for a new venture. I am working at Strathaven Academy since last year and they always welcome and appreciate ideas from the staff and give best possible support especially CPD coordinator.