Society & Lifestyles Week 8

• In brief, what have I learned from the lecture, independent task and tutorial today? Please be specific.

From today’s lecture, tutorial and independent task I have learned that there are many differences between both Prejudice and Discrimination as Prejudice is negative attitude that people have, which cause prejudgements and also involves a negative attitude that causes stereotyped beliefs aimed towards a group or individual person. Whereas Discrimination is how we act upon or negative attitudes that usually as under the categories of race, age and sex.

• Do I understand the main concepts and issues of the topics and areas I have learnt today? Where possible, how can I evidence this knowledge? Are there concepts and issues that I am struggling to comprehend? What can I do about that?

I don’t feel fully confident in the understanding of some of the main concepts and issues surrounding this topic I have learned today, such as  Securalisation, Conformity and Non Conformity. However in gaining a better understanding of this I will look at the further reading materials which surround this topic. After doing this to become more confident I will then progress onto pass paper questions which are related to this topic

• How has my knowledge in this area developed/increased today? Are there specific areas that require particular improvement? How will I address that?

My knowledge in this area has been developed today through lecture notes and the independent task. This is because I was able to look up the main concepts, which were highlighted in todays lecture and tutorial. Thus allowing me to gain a better understanding of these topics.

• If at all, how does what I have learnt today relate to my general understanding of how, prejudice as an example, impacts on your micro and macro world? Any possible career opportunities/aspirations as a future primary teacher on the things I have learnt today?

The topic I have learned today will relate to my general understanding of prejudice as it impacts both my micro and macro world. As micro world is how we are influenced by our peers, family and school whereas macro world is how we are influences by media, law, workplace and government. The things I have learned today is not to put opinions I am have into children’s minds as they may be influenced to agree with what I say even if it is not right. Such as prejudice I could give the wrong view in the class for teaching purposes and pupils may take this the wrong way and think what the teacher has said is correct.

• Are there specific issues/areas of what I have learnt today that I want to improve? If so, what are they and what do I plan to do?

The areas in the topic I have learned today and would like to improve upon would be the concepts which I do not fully understand. Therefore I will be able to improve on with further research and also doing pass paper question to see if I fully understand the topic.