Natural Disasters – Sustainable Development

This week for natural disasters we were put into groups and had to make a powerpoint presentation on different sub-topics relating to natural disasters. The sub-topic my group concentrated on for the micro teaching task was floods. Each member of the group had their own individual task to focus on for our presentation, my main focus was on the definition of floods and how this could relate to a lesson plan for curriculum for excellence. I found this rather challenging as I did not realise the effects of floods were so sever and had great impact of the communities.

Having done this micro teaching activity it has helped me develop upon my research skills and presentation skills. Developing my research skills came from identifying what appropriate and relevant information, that came from academic readings. In doing this it helped me enhance my knowledge about floods. Presenting is something out of my confort zone, however, I did feel that I had great knowledge about floods to share with my fellow peers. In doing this I did have to come out of my comfort zone to challenge myself to present. However, after presenting I realise it wasn’t as bad as I had thought and I let nerves get the better of me.

All in I felt the Micro teaching task was very beneficial for myself as it challenged me but also let me build upon skills.