Placement Task Sustainable Development

Map of the School Grounds 
In this first picture is the map of the school and shared nursery campus grounds this shows the three playgrounds one of which is the schools Multi Use Games Area also known as the MUGA.

Evidence of existing engagement of Sustainable Development 

The school has a community garden during the summer months students will contribute in maintaining the garden groups, planting new flowers as they will grow better with the summer weather. The pupil’s who work in the schools garden are known as the ‘Gardening Group’. Within the school there are also recycling bin wardens for every classroom they work in helping the janitor make sure all rubbish in the recycling bin belongs where it should and place all contents in the correct bin. In January 2011 the school achieved their Silver Eco award and Green Flag but from discussion with teachers and pupils the school is striving to achieve Gold.

Play Space for Children and its Sustainability 

The School has two large playgrounds and a Multi Use Games Area (MUGA), which is split into three football pitches. The School is at full capacity with extensive numbers of pupils this is why there are so many play spaces for children. One playground is for P1-3, the other P4-5 and the MUGA for P6-7 but all stages get a turn once a week to play in the MUGA.

Discussion with Pupils on aspects of Sustainable Education

Having discussed with pupils in the P4/5 class everyone said they were happy with the many opportunities they are faced with in schools in taking part in many different groups and activities such as the Eco group, or Bin wardens. The pupils in P4/5 also said having the opportunity to work with professionals not within the school is effective. Morton Football came in to take a block of PE lessons about football skills. But as well as this they also discuss with pupils how to make our environment better and allocated all pupils with a Greener Morton workbook. Within this workbook it was all about energy, transport, food miles and recycling and what pupils can do to improve their own environments.

Integrated Arts Week 11

Today’s lecture was about ‘Dance in Education’ discussing that dance should be fun, safe, meaningful and a child lead activity (Cone 2009). Within danced in education it is important to understand that everyone has a role to play in creative dance. Dance should help children build upon many things such as confidence and wellbeing (Cone 2009).

In today’s dance workshop we were given a new theme of Christmas. We were then split into groups and given different activities such as games, stretches, dances sequences and stimulus. In my group we were given games, the ideas we had for games was reindeer tig, Santa says, the number game related to Christmas objects such as presents, Christmas tree and Santa’s sleigh.

We then went into groups to work on our dances and change some parts to fit into our new theme of Christmas, before coming up with a full class dance before showcasing our group dance using the 10 step sequence.

In the drama workshop today it was my groups turn to do their micro teaching drama lesson to our fellow peers. The book my group had picked was ‘The Little Riding Hood’. Working as a group we to delegate the different roles each person would have in delivering our lesson. The different role each person has was reading the book, role on wall, hot seat, freeze frame and fast-forward. This allowed us the opportunity to experience teaching and performing in front of fellow peers.

Both Workshops linked to each other this allowed us to perform in front of peers to build confidence in teaching as well as performing. Picking a certain theme in dance and allowing pupils to lead their own learning using the 10 step dance sequence to create a dance to preform in front of others as a full class activity. In drama it was useful using a book for different levels within the school using the 10 drama conventions to allow pupils to think creatively and express themselves in a different way, which is not the written word.

Reference:

Cone (2009) Following Their Lead: Supporting Children’s Ideas for Creating Dances

Integrated Arts Week 10

In today’s music workshop it was all about rhythm, note names, not values and rest values.

Having looked at the drake music document I understand how figure notes would be easier to understand as the use of colour and shapes makes learning visible.

Throughout this workshop we worked on combining different note names, not values and rest values together to create music. When working on rhythm in the music we practiced using percussion sticks before we then practicing on the Glockenspiel.

Within the visual arts workshop we all had the opportunity to discuss the arts we have seen of the arts whilst being out on our serial day placements. This was good to the different type of art our peers have seen out on placement. Whilst being out on placement Thursday isn’t the day for art however the class and school halls are filled with displays of the arts done in class as the arts are about “showing rather than saying” (Fleming 2012 p9).

Throughout the workshop we also spoke about why the arts should be promoted within schools as it offers children many different opportunities to develop the arts in other curricular areas (Education Scotland nd).

Reference:

Education Scotland (nd) Curriculum for Excellence: Expressive Arts Principles and Practices. [Online] Available at: https://education.gov.scot/Documents/expressive-arts-pp.pdf [Accessed November 7, 2017].

Fleming, M. (2012) The Arts in Education: An Introduction to aesthetics, theory and pedagogy. London: Routledge

Integrated Arts Week 9

In today’s lecture the many concentration was ‘Dance in Education’. Throughout the lecture we spoke about all the things associated with drama in education such as how drama should be a confidence builder, enjoyable, remove fears and not just be about actors. Participation in drama is key Baldwin states that there is value in teachers experiencing drama as participation in order to better understand it as a learner (Baldwin 2009).

Today’s drama lesson was an opportunity for our peers to lead a drama lesson in a micro teaching activity. The first group focus for the drama was the story of ‘The Grufflo’. The first drama convention we were introduced to was role on wall, were we had to write how we feel about each character on the outside of the picture and on the inside how each character feels about themselves. The next drama convention we looked at was Vox Pop and Teacher in Role for this we had to pretend we were a forest creature and were asked questions about the story so far. We then all took part in a Freeze Frame were we acted out a community meet about what we will do about the Grufflo. Then we moved onto a Thought Tunnel were we all said one word to describe how we feel about the grufflo. Finally after hearing the full story we then moved onto a Fastforward about how we would welcome the grufflo and what we should do about the mouse.

The second group focus was on the story of ‘The 3 little pigs’ as this is a well-known story everyone knew. The first drama convention this group introduced to us was Teacher in Role were each group had to discuss what they would do about the wolf. Within my group we came up with the idea of creating a trap and use the bigger numbers as there is only one wolf. The next drama convention we looked at was Flashback we had to think of why the wolf acts the way he does and act this out to our peers. Hot seating was the next drama convention looked at where the full section had the opportunity to ask to the wolf about why he acts the way he does by blowing down the little pigs houses. The last drama convention was a Though Tunnel about how we felt about the wolf before then how we felt after the asking questions.

In the music workshop again was a micro teaching lesson as there was pupils from Greenmill Primary School came into the university to teach us how to play string instruments. The instrument I was working with was the cello were the pupils taught us different techniques about how to play the instrument such as plucking and bowing. The pupils allowed us to play each instrument using the different techniques they taught us to simple songs and rhythms.

Both workshops linked to each other as it was a micro teaching lesson. In the drama lesson we were taught by our fellow peers and in the drama lesson taught by the primary pupils of Greenmil Primary. This would be a useful lesson ideas to let pupils lead their own learning.

Reference:

Baldwin, P (2009) School Improvement Through Drama A Creative whole class, whole school approach Network Continuum

Natural Disasters – Sustainable Development

This week for natural disasters we were put into groups and had to make a powerpoint presentation on different sub-topics relating to natural disasters. The sub-topic my group concentrated on for the micro teaching task was floods. Each member of the group had their own individual task to focus on for our presentation, my main focus was on the definition of floods and how this could relate to a lesson plan for curriculum for excellence. I found this rather challenging as I did not realise the effects of floods were so sever and had great impact of the communities.

Having done this micro teaching activity it has helped me develop upon my research skills and presentation skills. Developing my research skills came from identifying what appropriate and relevant information, that came from academic readings. In doing this it helped me enhance my knowledge about floods. Presenting is something out of my confort zone, however, I did feel that I had great knowledge about floods to share with my fellow peers. In doing this I did have to come out of my comfort zone to challenge myself to present. However, after presenting I realise it wasn’t as bad as I had thought and I let nerves get the better of me.

All in I felt the Micro teaching task was very beneficial for myself as it challenged me but also let me build upon skills.

Integrated Arts Week 7

Today in the drama workshop we looked at the story called ‘The Tunnel” which was introduced by the lecturer. The workshop started off by the lecture reading us part of this story, about a bother and sister who were so different and did not get alone well at all due to this. The brother loved to go out and play with his friends whereas the sister would stay in and read alone. In our groups we were introduced into the next five drama conventions we would be using in our workshop.

The first drama convention we done in our workshop was Role on the Wall in this we had to draw the outline of both the boy and the girl character from the story. We then had to write on the outside of the outline what me though about each character and on the inside of the drawing what the character through of themselves.

After this activity we then continued on reading and discover the brother and sister arguing with one another not getting along. So the mother sends them out to play with one another where they discover a tunnel. The brother wants to go through but the sister is unsure and scared.

The second drama convention we looked at in the workshop was mime. For this in our groups we had to act of what we thought would happen next in the story. If the sister decided to follow her brother through the tunnel or did she stay where she was because she was too scared.

We then continued on to look at the third drama convention, which was thought tracking. For this drama convention we had act out why we through both brother and sister act the way they do. Then two people from each group had to stand forward and discuss their reasons for this.

Finally we moved onto our last drama convention being vox pop. For the we had to interview brother and sister before they entered the tunnel and after they entered the tunnel to see how they had changed and grown to like one another. This allows children to “express emotions and communicate with others” (McAuliffe 2007 p27).

In today’s dance workshop it started off with games such as tig, splat and the number game were all students had to link different body parts. From this we then moved onto different stretches so no one would get hurt. Continuing on in the workshop we then told the theme of our workshop would be Halloween. In the groups we worked in the previous dance workshop we were given a picture to use as a stimulus to create a dance move. In my group we were given a picture of a ghost.

Using the dances created in our groups from the previous dance workshop we then went and added different formats to make the dance slightly different than before. The full section then came together to create a full then all groups had the opportunity to showcase the dance they created.

Both workshop linked together it allowed us all to take part in active activities to express oneself and build upon individuals confidence. Both workshops today would work as lesson ideas, which would be engaging for pupils. As dance is “one of the most powerful experiences dance educators can offer children is opportunity to create a dance that reflects their ideas” (Cone 2009).

Reference:

McAuliffe, D (2007) Foundation and Primary Settings. In Teaching Art and Design 3-11. (Edited by Sue Cox, Robert Watts, Judy Grahame, Steve Herne and Diarmuid McAuliffe). London: Continuum.

Interdependence Learning Log Sustainable Development

Interdependence is known as the way two or more people and things depend on one another. As part of the topic we were able to go visit two different farms on week 1 that has a variety of differences on how the farms are run, making seeing both of these satisfying to see these. When teaching this topic at any age group going on a visit to a farm would be beneficial in the development of pupils knowledge on interdependence. Many places offer education professionals a range of resources, helping the planning and assessing of this topic and trips  to farms.

However, week 2 was a more intellectual and required a lot of knowledge from different academic readings, and websites given to us to help further our learning. Through doing these readings this has helped me develop many skills such as analysing texts and use of different resources as this is something I tend to find challenging. For our independent task we were to work in groups and make piktocharts informing us of the sustainability of fishing. Working in groups was to help us communicate with one another developing our social skills, as becoming teachers requires working with staff and colleagues happens on a daily basis. Everyone within the group took a topic to research and analysis before bringing together our information, meaning each individual had the opportunity to build on their analysing skills. Due to this task it has help me understand the areas where I am struggling but also how some of my skills are improving.

Integrated Arts Week 6

Today’s lecture was called ‘Why Music Matters’.

The lecture gave me insight into the variety of experiences music gives children, for example, in the classroom, in the school and in the wider community. Many children are already exposed to music and have a keen participation in music through learning to play an instrument or sing, learning to compose a piece of music, use ICT to create music such as ‘Garage Band’, learn to perform in front of an audience and also learn to listen to the music to understand the key concepts within the music. Many people discover music through simply listen to music and attending concerts.

In today’s music workshop we were placed into groups and given a specific section an academic piece of writing called ‘The Power of Music’. From this we were to create mind maps to simplify what we took from the reading. The specific part on the reading given to my group was creativity. Within this section it discussed pupils who had engagement with music tend to achieve their full learning potential.

From doing this activity it was evident that those who engage in the music or making music will have great impact their intellectual development throughout life. This workshop as well as the dance workshop was how the use of rhythm is needed in both music and dance.

Today was the first introduction into dance within integrated arts. Before we started the workshop we had a discussion as a class about how we felt teaching the arts a lot of us tended to have the same response as ‘unsure’, ‘scared’ and ‘apprehensive’.

We started the lesson by playing games such as tig, number game to make a object/ shape related to the certain number. We were then introduced to the ten step dance sequence, which is jump, hop, turn, slide, gesture, reach, balance, twist, kick and roll.

We then went into groups and worked to create a dance using the ten steps sequence introduced to us in our workshop. From this we then continued on to discuss the body parts used when dancing.

A music lesson which could be done in the classroom is could be listening to a piece of music reflecting on how the music made you feel. Then create a storyboard on what you think is happening throughout the music to then write a story about what is happening linking it to literacy, creating a dance about what you interpret the music is trying to say or creating a play to preform in font of peers.

Reference:

Hallam, S (nd) The Power of Music: It’s Impacts on the intellectual, social and personal development of children and young people. Institute of Education: University of London.

Integrated Arts Week 5

In today’s visual arts workshop it was a continuation on from last weeks Windows in the West a painting by Avril Paton (Paton 1993). Using the prints made last week we photocopied a picture of our best prints.

Using the photocopy of out prints we then drew on continuing of the picture about the area surrounding of the tenement flat and snowy weather, which inspired Paton to create this painting.

Through each stage we had to add more detail using a variety of colours and shading with the use of light and dark colours. Showing the effects of different colours and shades.

While continuing on with our printmaking we looked at ‘Room 13’ this is a project in a school. This an art room where pupils are allowed to go and freely express oneself. Working on projects or activities that interest them.

In the music workshop we were in the mac lab using the computer to make music online. This was something I was anxious as I was very unsure how to create music on a mac computer but let us use different forms of media to create music. The online programme used for this workshop was called ‘Garage Band” introduced by the lecturer to create backing music. Throughout this workshop we familarised ourselves with ‘Garage Band’ on the mac computers creating different pieces of music using different instruments, rhythms, volumes, speed and keys throughout the music we created.

Print Making could be done as a class activity linked to topic work such as the Europe, using famous landmarks to make prints on and display through the class as well as school. Using technology to make music could also be a class activity to make a CD or album of schools made by the pupils to raise money.

Reference List:

Paton, A. (1993) Windows in the West. [Watercolours on paper 48” x 60”] Glasgow. [Online] Available: https://avrilpaton.co.uk/prints/windows-in-the-west [Accessed: 3 October 2017]

Paton, A. (2017) Windows in the West. [Online] Available: https://avrilpaton.co.uk/prints/windows-in-the-west [Accessed: 3 October 2017]

Gibb, C. (2012) Room 13: The Movement and International Network [Online] Available at: http://moodle.uws.ac.uk/pluginfile.php/109358/mod_resource/content/1/Room%2013-%20Claire%20Gibb.pdf [Accessed 8th October 2017]

Climate Change – Sustainable Development

Climate is known as the average weather at a given point and time of a period of time. Weather is something that is expected to change on a daily basis, however, we expect the climate to remain constant. If the climate doesn’t remain constant, it is known as Climate change.

Climate change is an important subject across the world. This is due to drawbacks the world is faced with because of climate change, an example of a drawback would be the sea level changes and agriculture. There is much debate around the idea of  evidence and figures that support the concept of climate change being man-made.

Most climate change septics dispute the findings of the intergovernmental Panel on climate change. Others, such as the danish Economist Bjorn Lamborg, argue that, although global warming is real, there is little we can do to prevent it.

Having become familiar with the Climate Change (Scotland) Act 2009 I am aware of the result the 2050 target aims to achieve. The aim of the 2050 target is to ensure emission in 2050 is at least 80% lower than the baseline of alternative gases.  However, the improvised target is to ensure the emission in 2020 is at least 42% lower than alternative gases. The Scottish Minister must set annual targets to improve problems revolving around emission.

The WWF Footprint Calculator helped to me realise my own carbon footprint was 106%, finding this out shocked as well as my annual carbon emission was 11 tones. Both higher than 2020 target set by the UK Government. Thus allowing me to realise that a change is needed to  lower my carbon footprint taking on the advice given from the WWF calculator this will be something I will work to achieve.

These are the areas which make the biggest contribution to my carbon footprint.

• Food 24% – could you buy more seasonal food?
  • Home 26% –  do you have energy saving measures in your house?
  • Travel 31% –  how much do you cycle, carpool, or walk to work?
  • Stuff 19% – could you buy more things second-hand?

Taking into account these questions will help to contribute as well as the advice given from the WWF  footprint calculator will also help reduce my Carbon Footprint. As this has helped realise if I don’t take into consideration these question I will only be damaging the Climate in the future with my own bad habits.

In Conclusion, Climate Change is a matter of concern that is important to the worlds population. Everyone in the world has to reduce the use of bad habits as well as our carbon footprint, thus allowing 2050 target will be met to improve our living situations illustrated in the Climate Change (Scotland) Act 2009.