My Semester 1 Experience

Task

‘The SPR section 3.4.2 indicates the importance of and ways in which reflection can play part in the development of the prospective teacher. Reflect on one of the most important moments for your professional development in semester 1 and write a post about what you think you have learned from this critical incident and what the process of reflection is beginning to mean for you.’

Throughout Semester 1 there was a huge emphasis on mental wellbeing and each student looking after ourselves. We are the teachers of the future. We will be teaching children to have the confidence to talk about their feelings. We will be supporting children throughout their school journey and giving them the strength to ask for help.

Reflecting on my own mental wellbeing, I decided to reach out for help from the university. For years I’ve struggled with anxiety, however, found coping mechanisms on my own as I didn’t have the confidence to speak about it. After all, how could I stand in front of a class of children, preaching them to seek help and talk about emotions when I haven’t had the confidence to do that myself?

Health and Wellbeing is the ‘responsibility of all’. This means that every practitioner has a duty to promote this area of the curriculum no matter what their specialism is. This shows mental wellbeing being noticed by others as having a huge importance in young peoples lives. With this knowledge I then saw the significance of me reaching out for help. Along with this, the ‘Mental and Emotional Wellbeing’ experiences and outcomes there are many different criteria that convey the importance of expressing feelings and developing the confidence and ability to talk about them. I want to be an adult the children feel they can express there feelings to.

Through this event it has allowed me to slowly better myself and in the future will allow me to become a more open and reflective practitioner.

Why I want to be a teacher

I want to be part of the building blocks to shape children into the people they will become.

Throughout Primary School I had a variety of positive and negative experiences with my teachers. An example of this is, I was selected by my teacher to sing a solo in the Christmas play. I was ecstatic. I stood up in front of the whole of Primary 7 to rehearse and I was told to stop because I sounded like I was ‘singing at a funeral.’ This experience made my confidence deteriorate as I felt I had not only let down myself but my teacher that gave me this opportunity as well.

This style of teaching proved detrimental to my development and played a part in my low self-esteem when I was younger. I knew then I wanted to be in a profession to raise children’s self confidence and allow them to learn in a positive environment.

Through this experience – and many others that I’ve had over the years –  it inspired me to work in a job that allows me to build children’s confidence.