Managing My Learning

Activity 1

Recognition/ Reflection Action
What helps my learning? How can I utilise this?
Example: “Discussing the topic with others”  Set up a study group of like-minded peers
Engage with the online community

Writing down the information- Take notes in the lectures and add more from blackboard materials
I like to have previous understanding -Do the required reading and research so I have the prior knowledge and can add to it in the inputs
Practical tasks- Doing a task for myself to understand the knowledge

Recognition/Reflection Action
What hinders my learning? How can I address this factor?
Example: “I’m easily distracted” Study in a place where distractions are minimal
Read lecture notes before the lecture and then take notes lectures to keep me focused

Fast pace note taking -Take key points in lectures and any extra information then add the other points into the notes such the materials after
Doing too many tasks at once- Prioritise tasks in order of importance

Why I want to be a teacher

I want to be a teacher as growing up my Auntie was a teacher in my primary school. I spent a lot of time in her classroom after school helping her, I also spent a lot of time outside school with other teachers at birthday parties etc, seeing what my Auntie and her friends did for their jobs inspired me. My older cousin is also a primary teacher, someone who I look up to and has had a heavy influence on me over the years. Watching how much my Auntie and Cousin love their job and hearing them talk about how rewarding it is, inspired me to teach.

At first I was a bit unsure if I really wanted to pursue teaching but after starting my part time job as a swimming teacher; which I’ve had for 4 years now, I knew. The job has not only taught me about how to teach but has also taught me a lot about myself. I had to learn different approaches to teaching, figuring out that not every approach works for every child and learning how to adapt lessons quickly in order for it to work for the child. I learnt a lot about team work, patience and trust when building up relationships with not only with the other teachers but with the children and parents also.  Seeing the progress and the impact you can have on a child first-hand, showed me how rewarding teaching can be and  it confirmed to me that I really do want have a career in teaching.