Personal audit & transferable skills

Activity 1

1. Below are a list of skills and abilities. Complete an audit of where you are now. Record this in your learning journal/portfolio.

Rate yourself (1=Not very well developed; 3=very well developed)

Skills and Abilities

1

2

3

Think critically                     ✓
 Self confidence                       ✓
 Self discipline                       ✓
Teamwork                    ✓
 Build Social Networks                      ✓
 Manage Time                      ✓
 Listen to others                       ✓
 Contribute to discussions                      ✓
 Take notes                       ✓

Although it is important to identify where we are now, it is not enough to stop there. We need to reflect upon how we can develop the skills where we are less confident and how we can transfer the skills in which we are confident and competent.

Activity 2

Complete the audit below, using the information from the table above.

Recognition Reflection Action
Skills already developed How will I use these How do I know (evidence)**
 Build Social Networks To communicate more efficiently during teamwork tasks, as building up relationships within the team will allow for a more positive outcome. The use of online messaging to communicate with my working together group; to schedule meetings, to share notes and to delegate tasks quickly to everyone.
 Listen to Others To respect the opinion of others.  Also develop my knowledge and views on a specific topic, by taking account of other peoples views, which may confirm or contradict mine. The comments I receive from team members mostly highlights my skills in listening to others.
 Take notes To reflect on and consolidate my learning of the topics which arose in lectures, videos etc. I take concise notes which highlight the key information needed to understand important concepts, without missing any important information verbally given from the lecturer.
 Problem Solve To complete difficult tasks which require a lot of thinking and evaluation in order to come to an effective conclusion. I consider problem solving a developed skill of mine due to my particular skills in maths and science, where problem solving is constantly a factor.
 Think critically To take what I’ve learnt and think how it could help in practice or whether I completely agree with this concept.  To challenge what I am learning to expand my knowledge. I am constantly challenging view points and thinking of the applications of different theories, which was evident in my assignment.

** This section should be completed as you identify when/where/how you have used/developed these skills.

Recognition Reflection Action
Skills to be developed How will I develop these How do I know (evidence)**
 Self confidence By believing that what I have to say is valuable and taking the chance to say what I think, believing that it’ll will be accepted and appreciated. When I am able to speak up in a group situation without feeling any hesitation about how what I have said will be unappreciated.  By not having any reservations when it comes to voicing my opinion.
 Self discipline By keeping on top of deadlines and reading on my own, adapting from the school environment of constant teaching time to the more independent style of learning present at University. I will start to record deadlines in a diary and stay committed to studying at specific times every week with no deviation to ensure I achieve everything that I am required to do.
 Time keeping By setting out specific tasks to do in a set time and trying not to go over this time and risk not getting other tasks done as a consequence. I will plan my days efficiently so that my university work is well-balanced with my personal commitments.
 Contribute to discussions By listening to what others have to say and responding appropriately to build upon the discussion and contribute to it’s flow.  This will require prior reading and thinking in order to make an effective contribution. When I speak up and saw what I am thinking which relates to the topic at hand and someone is subsequently able to build upon what I said.  This is becoming more evident in my participation during workshops.
 Teamwork By trying to take a more proactive role in a team, like leadership.  Also, join more teams outside of University, i.e. sports teams or a workforce, so I can develop my teamwork skills and apply them to teamwork at University and within teaching. I will know these skills are developed when I am a part of a team and the discussion flows well and an outcome is achieved.