The Imagineers win big!

The Imagineers rounded up the 2016/17 school year with invitations to accept prizes for all the great work they’ve being doing to ensure children’s voices are listened to. First they met with Gayle Gorman, Aberdeen City Council’s Director of Education and Children’s Services, who presented them with certificates. The following week they were awarded a GREC Anne Frank Award for their amazing work and commitment to human rights.

‘I loved getting an Anne Frank Awards for my hard work as an Imagineer. Anne Frank was a girl who lived during WW2. She kept a diary and wrote in it every day because she was hiding from the Nazis and couldn’t go to school or play. She then was taken to a concentration camp and died. Her awards go to children who help show respect and fight discrimination in their communities. It felt good getting it because I was representing my school.’

Imagineer Abdullah

Praising ourselves

‘Our praise poems were great because it had everything we like in it. It made us happy because it was about ourselves. We liked how our classmates came up positive words to describe people – like in my case ‘sassy’, which makes me sound like I own it! We will share it with our friends and family.’

Faith, Manisha and Caitlin

Our ideas for school!

Manor Park P5/6 have been thinking about a healthy, happy and safe school where everyone was doing their best. Here is what they imagine:

• Pet rooms so we can learn about animals.
  • Opportunity to learn about different people’s jobs so you know what you can be when you are older.
  • No swearing as it is offensive and puts us off work.
  • Respect as if you respect people they will respect you back.
  • No fighting so that no one gets hurt.
  • Healthy food for lunch so that everyone is fit.
  • More library books. Everybody respects the books and don’t wreak them.
  • Children don’t stay up late at night so they have slept and are ready to learn.
  • Bikes for all classes to make everyone happy and exercise.
  • The building is made of Lego so children can take pieces from the wall and build new structures with their teacher.
  • Friends as they help you when you are stuck.
  • Extra playtime as we love playing outside. Plus extra time to run about so we stay healthy.
  • More opportunities to dance – it makes everything happy!

Bramble Brae Imagineers takeover Westminster

“On Tuesday 23rd of May we went to London with Catrin, Sarah and Mr Gray (our teacher). We went to the Houses of Parliament to get a tour. Our MP Kirsty Blackman was going to do this but because of the election we met with her before we went and asked her questions about her job and her life between London and Aberdeen.

One our tour we seen where Queen Victoria sat and where she got changed into her robes for the opening of Parliament. The roof in Elizabeth’s dressing room was covered in gold and the carpet red.

We learned a lot of things but here are a few things that stick in our minds:

There are paintings of Henry the 8th and all his wives. We learned a poem to remember what happened to them all. It goes like this ‘divorced, beheaded, died. Divorced, beheaded, survived.’

At the end of the anteroom there was a statue of Queen Victoria. The purpose of this statue was to make Queen Victoria feel more comfortable while she said her speech. Queen Victoria used to be so nervous she would scratch at the side of her chair and tap her feet on a small stool.

In the past no man or women had the right to vote. Men got it first but woman had to continue to fight for it. They came into parliament and threw flour everywhere last century. After protesting they finally got the right to vote.

The parliament is split into thirds. The parliament is colour coded for different groups. Blue represents the Queen’s part, green for the House of Commons and red for the House of Lords. The Queen is now allowed in House of Commons because it shows the separation of the House of Commons from the monarchy. She can’t interrupt what they are deciding on.

My favourite part of coming to London was the bus tour because it took me to different landmarks and beautiful buildings. It made me feel privileged as we are the first people to do this in our school.

We London because the lights at night looked incredible. The city feels alive. We liked the building designs and how unique they are. It made us feel even smaller!

The London trip made me happy because we got to share rooms. The girls with the girls and the boys with the boys. It was fun!”

The learner treasure I want more…

We’ve been doing Children’s Parliament work and this week we were doing learning treasure maps. We open the learning treasure, on person reads it out while we listen. Then we decide where to put it on our map. The left is what sounds like you like a learner, the right is what doesn’t sound like you as a learner. There is also the middle.

‘The learning treasure I’d like more in learning is ‘I get on well with others’ because if I stopped arguing I’d find a solution to helping me be more calm and focus. If you start arguing over tiny things it can disturb others too if it gets too loud.’

‘I’d also choose ‘I get on well with others’ and will work on less fallouts with classmates – this would help me do my best. When I fallout I don’t get a lot of work done as I think only about upsetting my friends and this distracts me. Our teacher has put different faces up on the wall so we can show how we are feeling. If I move it to sad and angry the teacher notices and comes and asks me questions. I don’t want to answer as it makes me sad. Getting on well with others would make me choose the happy face.’

Cadhla and Madison

‘I’d choose ‘I keep going’. When I’m doing something and it is good and fun I never give up. I get really into it. I give up on maths. I like doing it but sometimes the teacher thinks you can do it but it is too hard to understand and you give up. If it was easier to understand or I knew the way to figure it out then I could keep going. I will try to do this.’

‘I would pick this too because I give up easily. Sometimes work is really hard and I can’t concentrate properly. I am going to try and not get distracted by ignoring people, this will allow me to catch up.’

Sophie-Lea and Tegan R

Hunting for Treasure!

Over the last two weeks we have been on a treasure hunt. We have been searching for learning treasures.

‘The treasure maps showed us what we were good at and bad at learning.’

– Nicola

We used our treasure maps to identify the learning skills we were good at and used a lot as well as those we found harder.

When we thought about how this activity made us feel, we used adjectives such as fun, peaceful, joyful and calm.

Abigail found that this activity reinforced what she had already learned in previous weeks which was a helpful reminder.

We agreed to try and use one of the treasures we found harder but would like to get better at this week.

Plotting for learning treasure

‘We have been plotting learning treasures on our map. If it is like me as a learner we put it on the left of the island. If it is not like me as a learner we put it on the right.’

‘I make a plan when I’m in my house and my mum says “tidy up your room”. I gather all toys and put them in a pile where they belong. At school I’d make a plan when using timetables. If I was doing 2 x 1, I would draw out two squares and then write 1 in each of the squares. I can then add them up. Making a plan helps me get everything done. I also use watch and learn a lot. When I was five I came to Scotland. I couldn’t speak English. I watched everyone else and copied what they were saying. This helped me learn.’

Daniels

‘I like to work things out carefully like maths and writing. If I am doing 8 x 8 I’d use my brain and my fingers to count it out and get the right answer.’

Owen

‘I listen and understand how others feel. When other people don’t know the answers I know how they are feeling; sad, stressed and angry. I’d give them a number line if I was doing maths. This can help them.’

‘I do not get on with others because sometimes I get annoyed by people and annoy them back. This then gets us into trouble by the PSA, teacher or Head Teacher.’

‘Making a plan is not like me. I usually never come up with stuff in advance. I need to work on this as school work could be easier if you knew what I had to do.’

Katrina and Dexter

‘I don’t keep going when doing maths. I skip the hard questions and go onto the easy questions.’

Leah

We have made learnometers

‘These are our learnometers. They show what helps us learn and what gets in the way of doing our best.’

‘My AHDH and autism get in the way. Whenever I try to get on with work I get hyper for no reason. I find it hard to listen. When this happens to me I go crazy and walk out the classroom.’

‘Art helps me cope with being at school. That and P.E. is what I like.’

‘Lunchtime helps me because I am always hungry. Food refuels my belly and gives me the energy to learn.’

‘When people listen to you it helps me learn. It makes me feel good that they are listening. I feel important and special.’

‘Being in a good mood in the morning helps me start school.  If you’ve woken up and are happy, it makes me ready to start my day.’

‘People shouting makes me go off my work as it annoys and disturbs me.’

‘My friends help me learn. Working in a group is great as we can help each other with ideas.’