Gender Roles…

From the very beginning of my educational memories; the girls ran towards the doll’s house to take care of little Alice who needed her bottle and the boys ran to see who could make their red Lamborghini do the most flips off of the sink… it was the norm.

At the time, I seen no segregation between sexes through education, and honestly, until now I have never actually sat down and thought about it. Looking back; I don’t particularly think that being a female hindered my education in any way or form. This is probably because I never experienced any negative issues whilst at school surrounding my gender. However, I do think that males and females will have very different accounts of what they gained from education by what sex they are.

I have no account whilst being at school of any of my peers, either male or female, being treated any differently. All the teachers within my school treated everyone fairly and encouraged everyone to gain the most they could out of their education in every aspect.

I do not feel that the gender of a child should have an impact on how that child is perceived. As I was treated with respect and as an equal throughout my years at school, I endeavour to do the same for the children that I will one day teach. I plan to make each individual child feel respected and treated fairly throughout their years at school and encourage that child to do the best they can based on their abilities and not their gender.