Recent Updates Toggle Comment Threads | Keyboard Shortcuts

• K. Mayer

K. Mayer 1:37 pm on August 21, 2015 Permalink | Reply
    Tags:   

Introduce yourself! 

Welcome everyone! Tell us who you are and what your remit/area of responsibility is.
    In order to be able to join this blog you must enter your name and email address and click ‘Reply’.

After your first comment is approved, you will be able to respond to any of the topics posted in this blog. Remember: This blog is public facing!

• K. Mayer

K. Mayer 2:14 pm on August 21, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Klaus Mayer, Development Officer, Skills 3-18 Team at Education Scotland
      Main remit: Supporting Ayrshires and South Lanarkshire, Equalities, Career Education, Scotland’s Enterprising School, Erasmus+ etc.

• Mairi Thomson 2:28 pm on August 21, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Hello fellow DYW #youngworkforce bloggers! I am delighted to see this blog being set up as a platform to share and collaborate as we learn and support DYW across Scotland. Exciting times for the children and young people of Scotland as we collectively look towards 2020.

I am a Development Officer within the Skills (3-18) Team in Education Scotland.
      So what am I working on?
      I am leading on the Career Education Standard (3-18) and have an interest in skills across the 3-18 age range. I am supporting several local authorities in the west of Scotland and am looking forward to the exciting year ahead. I look forward to many more blog posts as we learn together through the series of learning events.

In the meantime…why not check out the ES website?
      http://www.educationscotland.gov.uk/learningandteaching/thecurriculum/dyw/index.asp

• K. Mayer

K. Mayer 2:30 pm on August 21, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Welcome Mairi. You are a busy bee!

• Jon Stembridge 3:48 pm on August 24, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Hi Klaus,

Jon Stembridge here, skills team development officer. My remit covers Technologies including renewables, STEM education and languages. I am currently supporting Dundee and Angus, Perth and Kinross and Fife. My latest pet project has involved working to develop our DYW stand at the Scottish Learning Festival. I am really looking forward to seeing many of partners on the 2nd of September and at the Learning Festival later that month. Along with the rest of the team I having been supporting on all our conversation days with young people and I am looking forward to our next event in Elgin in November.

I have been supporting Mairi Thomson and Andrew Millar and the team as we near the launch of the Career Education and Work Placement Standards.

If you are reading this then I presume you are coming to join our event forum. Please remember we also have practitioner forum inside Glow that you may be eligible to join. bit.ly/youngworkforcehome

Kind regards

Jon

• K. Mayer

K. Mayer 5:35 pm on August 27, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Welcome Jon.

• User deactivated 6:57 am on August 29, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Welcome Jon

• Lawrence Durden 10:58 am on September 1, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Hi, Lawrence Durden from Skills Development Scotland. I am the Tourism Industry manager working closely with the tourism sector to try and address skills issues the sector faces and promote solutions to industry. Work closely with Springboard to develop closer links between businesses and education providers.

• Leigh Watson 11:02 am on September 1, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Leigh Watson here from the Health and Wellbeing team. Part of my workplan is directly related to the DYW agenda through Physical Education, Physical Activity and Sport.

In fact we have an event on Saturday 3rd October where we hope to exemplify some work that is currently going on in schools, and support schools on their journey to embedding DYW through HWB.

Sign up for the “Developing Young Workforce through Physical Education, Physical Activity and Sport” by copying the link into your browser:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FQ62CYW

I’m really looking forward to seeing how the North East have taken this agenda forward through partnernships.

• Annette Lang 11:05 am on September 1, 2015 Permalink | Reply

My name is Annette Lang my post title is Education Manager (Lifelong Learning and Employability). I manage the Lifelong Learning and Employability Service in Midlothian and co lead on DSYW for the authority. Our service also supports and coordinates work to increase positive destinations for young people and support adults and families to secure improved outcomes for learning, life and work.

• jon stembridge 10:10 am on September 2, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Good to see you at learning event 2

• Hannah Gray 11:06 am on September 1, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Hello,,
      My name is Hannah Gray and I work as a Policy Officer in the Raising Attainment Unit in the Scottish Government’s Learning Directorate. My remit includes work on engaging with parents and carers – http://engagingwithfamilies.co.uk/ and the Scottish Attainment Challenge – http://www.gov.scot/Topics/Education/Schools/Raisingeducationalattainment

Looking forward to tomorrow!
      Hannah

• Craig Lowther 11:11 am on September 1, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Hi, I am a Learning and Teaching Officer at Moray Council. My current remit includes supporting the development of STEM, Developing the Young Workforce, literacy and Numeracy with all schools in Moray.

• Steve Dougan 11:15 am on September 1, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Hi all,
      I am the Senior Phase/Opportunities Coordinator for Falkirk Council. I have a strategic lead in the delivery of DYW across the authority along with my partner in crime Hazel Mackie.
      I’m looking forward to tomorrow, apart from the 6am start, to hear more around the role of employers as we move DYW forward.
      Steve

• User deactivated 11:19 am on September 1, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Good afternoon Steve and welcome to the learning event blog. I am certain you are fired up for a productive day of engaging discussion tomorrow.

• Steve Dougan 11:27 am on September 1, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Hi Mairi, looking forward to catching up with you tomorrow. Are you heading up tonight?

• User deactivated 12:45 pm on September 1, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Yes Steve. Heading off later.

• K. Mayer

K. Mayer 11:15 am on September 1, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Welcome Craig, Hannah, Leigh, Annette and Lawrence and congratulations for the lightning speed response! Enjoy the conversations on this blog.

• Katie Stewart 11:17 am on September 1, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Hi, I’m Katie Stewart, manager of the Prince’s Trust’s pilot programme “Future Starts”.
      The programme aims to meet the recommendations set out in the DYW report by working with potential school leavers who are at risk of achieving less than five National 5’s and are unsure of their next steps when leaving school.
      The programme offers industry taster days, work placements and supported progression into a positive destination. By participating, young people are also able to gain an accredited qualification.
      The pilot is running in 6 Local Authority areas throughout the 15/16 term – Glasgow, North Lanarkshire, Edinburgh, Fife, Dundee and Angus.

• User deactivated 11:21 am on September 1, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Good afternoon Katie and welcome. It is great to have the support of The Prince’s Trust for the event.

• Jon Stembridge 9:43 pm on September 3, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Hi Katie, very interested to hear more about you work in Angus, Angus and Fife as these are my college regions. Please get in touch so we can meet to discuss. Jon

• K. Mayer

K. Mayer 11:17 am on September 1, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Hi Steve, welcome. Looking forward to catching up with you tomorrow.

• Iain Stewart 11:24 am on September 1, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Hello – Iain Stewart, ESO, Comhairle nan Eilean Siar, Education and Children’s Services Department – with responsibility for DYW. Looking forward to meeting/listening/learning/contributing….

• User deactivated 5:35 pm on September 1, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Welcome Iain. Let’s look forward to interesting dialogue.

• Anna McFarlane 11:26 am on September 1, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Hi, I’m Anna McFarlane. I’m a guidance Teacher to trade and I have just begun a new role as ‘Strategy Officer’ for DYW in Dundee. We are focussing on and piloting new ideas in St. Paul’s RC Academy and I am looking forward to working with college, employers, colleagues and parents/carers as we strive to bring about sustainable change.

• Alison Seggie 11:26 am on September 1, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Hi everyone My name is Alison Seggie, Enterprise Manager with Perth & Kinross Council and have been involved in developing a Perth & Kinross approach to DYW. Looking forward to tomorrow’s event. At the moment busy working with our colleagues in the Perthshire Chamber of Commerce to pull together a bid for a Perth & Kinross DYW private sector led group.

• Chris Stockwell 11:28 am on September 1, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Hi all, I’m Chris Stockwell, Head of Agriculture & Business Management at Scotland’s Rural College (SRUC). We have just started delivering an NPA Rural Skills at Alford Academy (along with pupils from Aboyne Academy too) and we are keen to develop our links and activities with schools.

• Oumar 12:18 pm on September 1, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Hi Everyone,
      I’m Oumar, Development Officer at BEMIS Scotland. My remit is Modern Apprenticeships, which play an important factor in developing the skills of young people within the Scottish workforce. BEMIS in partnership with Skills Development Scotland is raising the visibility and awareness of MAs within the ethnic and cultural minority communities.
      I look forward to meeting with you all.

• jon stembridge 10:14 am on September 2, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Hello Oumar, nice to talk this morning. I hope you enjoy today

• Nicky MacLennan 12:18 pm on September 1, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Hi, I’m Nicky MacLennan, 16+ Lead Officer in The Highland Council.
      My team support 32 secondary schools across the region including Opportuntities for All agenda, Work Experience, work related qualifications, vocational pathways, activity agreements, and driving forward the Developing the Young Workforce strategy. We will also be expanding our very succesful Bridge to Employment model across the area to include Tourism, Food and Drink as well as our current STEM programme.

• K. Mayer

K. Mayer 12:37 pm on September 1, 2015 Permalink | Reply

A warm welcome to Nicky, Oumar, Chris, Alison, Anna and Iain. We are delighted to have a lot of the ‘breadths and depths’ of the DYW landscape already represented here. This will undoubtedly make for rich discussions and forward thinking around the event.

• Karen Clark 12:48 pm on September 1, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Hello I am about all things Employability, Enterprise and Entrepreneurship

• Alex Cumming 12:50 pm on September 1, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Hi, I’m Alex Assistant Director for the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award in Scotland. I support the operations of the DofE in Scotland particularly looking at how it articulates to DYW and how we can increase the use of the programme within MAs and other vocational programmes.

• Brian Webb 12:53 pm on September 1, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Hi Everyone I am Brian Webb and I work for SHMU (Station House Media Unit) Aberdeen. I am the shmuTRAIN coordinator and deliver 2 employability programmes across the city. The first is delivered within 5 academies in Aberdeen where we deliver a year long Employability Skills development course which is SQA accredited and takes the pupils through an SQA in Employability, Radio and Film at Level 4 and 5. We also offer a 12 week employability programme for 16-19 year olds.

• K. Mayer

K. Mayer 1:08 pm on September 1, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Welcome Brian, Alex and Karen. Looking forward to meeting you tomorrow.

• Marion Burns 1:23 pm on September 1, 2015 Permalink | Reply

I am Marion Burns and I work in Directorate A in Education Scotland. I am an HMInspector with an early learning and childcare and primary school background. I am the area lead officer for three authorities: Scottish Borders, East Dunbartonshire and West Dunbartonshire.

• Lesley Watson 1:50 pm on September 1, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Hi everyone, I am the Business Liaison Officer within the Schools & Learning Team of Angus Council. It is my role to encourage and facilitate the development of effective and (most importantly) sustainable partnerships between the business community and our Angus Schools. Given the obvious links to DYW, I am also the operational lead for driving forward this strategy across the authority.

• Jon Stembridge 9:46 pm on September 3, 2015 Permalink | Reply

So sorry Lesley, I meant to introduce myself, Rodger had told me you were coming… in the end I found myself with more of a job on the sound and lights. We must make time to meet and discuss Angus DYW. I am in the process of putting together a baseline summary for our team… Hope to talk soon… Jon

• Shelley MacKenzie 2:49 pm on September 1, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Hi all, I’m Shelley MacKenzie, Schools Liaison Manager at North East Scotland College. My team work with 29 schools across 2 Local Authority areas to offer a wide range of vocational education opportunities for senior school pupils across the region. We operate a broad programme of courses for school pupils as part of their school curriculum including Skills for Work courses at N4 and N5 level, Highers, NPA’s, NC’s, HNC’s and City and Guilds Awards. In all we will have 51 courses for around 950 pupils running throughout the school year in 15-16, with an additional Taster Course programme of around 60 courses for another 900 pupils. We’ve recently welcomed a school pupil on an Extended Work Experience placement to our team and we are working in partnership with a number of partners to develop our programme further for 16-17, looking in particular at the opportunities for progression to employment within the region.

• Phil Stewart 4:50 pm on September 1, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Hi, my name is Phil Stewart, Economic Development Officer with Dumfries and Galloway Council. My responsibilities includes Opps for All and development/implementation of the D&G employability award amongst a host of other responsibilities.

• Bob McGowan 5:09 pm on September 1, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Hi, I’m Bob McGowan and I am Co-ordinator of SCEEN (Scottish Council Enterprise in Education Network) – a network of local authority lead officers in enterprise in education. Former ‘Determined to Succeed’ Senior Adviser – currently a performance consultant in education, business and sport. Looking forward to another inspiring DYW day.

• K. Mayer

K. Mayer 5:19 pm on September 1, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Welcome Marion, Lesley ,Shelley, Phil and Bob. Thanks for introducing yourself and sharing some of the exciting work you are currently involved in. See you all at the AECC tomorrow.

• Gill Stewart 5:21 pm on September 1, 2015 Permalink | Reply

I am Director of Qualifications at sqa. We are working with SDS on Foundation Apprenticeships. Also interested in how,we can support schools with appropriate vocational qualifications – either existing ones and new ones, Eg what vocational qualifications coukd be used as progression routes into FAs. Interested to hear how DYW developing locally and to understand how SQA can best support work locally.

• User deactivated 5:27 pm on September 1, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Welcome Gill it is great to have you on board!

• jon stembridge 10:17 am on September 2, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Welcome GIll

• Michelle Robertson 5:44 pm on September 1, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Good evening everyone! I’m Michelle Robertson, Education for Work Officer for West Lothian Council. My responsibilities include; managing the School Work Placement Programme and facilitating school/employer partnerships. I also Chair the World of Work Network; this is a local authority owned group – whose members share best/emerging practice related to a number of school work experience related programmes (including placements) . I’m involved in a number of DYW related projects at the moment, the most recent one (hot off the press today) looking at extending our excellent partnership with West Lothian College to consider a joint STEM manifesto. I’m about to begin my journey up to the Silver City now… Looking forward to the event tomorrow.

• User deactivated 6:39 pm on September 1, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Welcome Michelle! It is great you are able to join the discussion tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing you.

• Lindsay Philp 6:22 pm on September 1, 2015 Permalink | Reply

I am a Business/Employability Trainer working with Young Enterprise Scotland working in secure units and primary & secondary schools.

• User deactivated 6:38 pm on September 1, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Welcome Lindsay!

• Bob Baldie 6:41 pm on September 1, 2015 Permalink | Reply

I have been seconded to Education Scotland Skills 3-18 team from Forfar Academy in Angus in order to help implement the DYW agenda. Looking forward to meeting you all!!

• User deactivated 6:43 pm on September 1, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Welcome Bob! It’s great to have you as part of the team.

• Jon Stembridge 9:47 pm on September 3, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Well done Bob you survived – YP stole the show… thanks for your input

• Bob Jones 9:10 pm on September 1, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Hello, I’m Bob Jones. I’m the National Parent Forum Scotland area representative for Aberdeenshire. NPFS have been involved in previous DYW days, so I’m coming along to continue NPFS input from a parental perspective.

For the day job, I’m a Ltd Company contractor in the oil and gas industry (Process / Chemical Engineering) and have been known to man a stall at various school’s career’s events informing / encouraging young people to consider Chemical Engineering as a profession, which may also shape my contribution to the conference….

looking forward to it…

• Rebecca Chad 9:32 pm on September 1, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Hi there

Rebecca Chad, Development Officer, Skills (3-18), Team at Education Scotland.
      Main remit: lead on Equalities working with partners and stakeholders to drive forward the recommendations and embed Equalities across the programme. I am also working on developing the professional learning that sits behind the report and at present will help practitioners to deliver the new Careers Education Standard and Work Placement Standard. My colleague Mairi Thomson and I have planned a series of Young Person Conversation Days to engage with children and young people, 3-18 around the Standards. The team are now planning our next event in Elgin on November 5th. I support Argyll & Bute, Highlands, Moray, Shetland, Na h-Eileanan Siar, and recently returned from a very inspiring two day in – service in the Western Isles where all secondary teachers and primary schools, alongside other national & local partners and stakeholders, led by the Director of Education, engaged with DYW and the Careers Education Standard. Iain Stewart is coming tomorrow so take time over coffee to ask him all about it. I look forward to working with you all tomorrow.

• Kelly Johnstone 9:49 pm on September 1, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Hello,
      I am Kelly Johnstone Director for Springboard Scotland and very much part of the DYW team working towards the recommendations in the report. One of our main aims and focuses within Springboard is bringing industry (HLT) Hospitality, Leisure & Tourism and schools closer together through quality work experience and specialised programmes like FutureChef and FAB in Front of House. Looking forward to event 2!

• Simon Fraser 8:13 am on September 2, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Simon Fraser, Project Manager, Elevator. Covering enterprise and entrepreneurship with a focus on helping young people realise their enterprising potential.

• Ken McAra 8:32 am on September 2, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Hi. I’m Ken McAra, an HM Inspector with Education Scotland and also the Area Lead Officer for Argyll & Bute, Falkirk and Perth & Kinross Councils.

Looking forward to an interesting morning.

• K. Mayer

K. Mayer 8:51 am on September 2, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Welcome and good morning everyone who has just joined us. Enjoy the discussions, shared thinking and learning today.

• K. Mayer

K. Mayer 9:23 am on September 2, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Thank you to Angela Scott for her welcome and setting the scene for the day. Making the connections between skills development and a future workforce is a key challenge for us all.

• Janet Gardner 9:43 am on September 2, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Good morning. Looking forward to an interesting day. I am part of the Post-16 team in Education Scotland. Part of my role involves support as college HMI for North East Scotland College and for Glasgow Clyde College.

• K. Mayer

K. Mayer 9:45 am on September 2, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Welcome Janet. Thanks for joining.

• Ken McAra 9:49 am on September 2, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Sharing the workbook from the last event and this one will be important, given that not all authorities have attended one or both.

• K. Mayer

K. Mayer 9:51 am on September 2, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Thanks Ken. We will make sure there is some sort of feedback provided for this event as well.

• Ken McAra 10:14 am on September 2, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Liking the sound of the regional groups. Hopeful that they will also consider how to best meet the employment needs and particular capabilities of young people with additional support needs – sustainable destinations are important for them too. Education has a responsibility to help employers understand what is possible for these young people

• Christine Murphy 10:27 am on September 2, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Business Class Manager Scotland : Scottish Business in the Community

• K. Mayer

K. Mayer 10:30 am on September 2, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Welcome Christine.

• Iain Stewart 2:03 pm on September 2, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Skills focus on work placements – great idea (current units from 1990’s are pse-oriented). To provide work placements with work-skills currency – suggest incorporation of Core Skills (dual accreditation opportunities) and facilitate incorporation of other ‘essential skills / vocational skills’ ala Scottihs Skills Strategy.

• Melanie McEwen 8:23 am on September 3, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Hi all. I am a teacher currently seconded to the Curriculum School Improvement Team in Dumfries and Galloway Council with employability as part of my remit. I have been working closely with the Employability and Skills Service as we progress the DYW agenda with all our young people.

• Anthony Standing 4:26 pm on September 3, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Hi All, I head up regional operations for Skills Development Scotland in the North ( Highlands & Islands). With a focus on helping customers develop career management skills through coaching and interaction with our web portal My World of Work, industry, national training programmes including work based learning models such as Modern apprenticeships. We bring the Skills Planning Model to life – aligning demand>supply>

• Joan Mackay 10:35 pm on September 3, 2015 Permalink | Reply

A day later I finally get blogging! I’m leading implementation of DYW in schools on behalf of Education Scotland and Scottish Government. Still reflecting on yesterday . Would like the various strands of dialogue that began yesterday to continue. Looking through the group of folk already on the blog stream here is exciting in itself. Can you see the diversity of perspective and skill we bring to the challenge just from what is written here?

• Stuart McKay 8:07 am on September 4, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Hi, I am the Opportunities for All Officer for West Lothian Council, the DYW lead and part of the MCMC Team. I have been working with our Economic Development Department, West Lothian College and a number of other partners to develop our DYW strategy.

• Shona McKnight 1:40 pm on September 4, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Hi everyone – I’m late to the party I’m afraid (hope there’s still some pringles left?!). I work for Dundee as Development Officer for LLW Skills.

• Scott M. Harrison 9:07 am on September 29, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Hello everyone. My name is Scott Harrison and I am a new Development Officer on the DYW Skills Team.

• Scott M. Harrison 9:11 am on September 29, 2015 Permalink | Reply

My role in the DYW team is looking at the Senior Phase, SCP, Foundation Apprenticeships and Equalities. The curriculum subject I am leading on is Modern Languages. And the georgraphical areas I will be working with to support include Lanarkshire(s) and West Lothian. I look forward to meeting you all in the near future.

• Tony Coultas 7:59 am on September 30, 2015 Permalink | Reply

Hi all. I’m Tony Coultas and part of the team in SDS who are working on the development of different aspects of work-based learning – supporting the development of foundation apprenticeships in the senior phase, graduate level apprenticeships and work-based learning pathways.

• User deactivated 10:30 am on March 30, 2016 Permalink | Reply  

Shetland Senior Phase Academies 

Work Stream 6: Senior Phase Academies

The Senior Phase Academies will continue to develop with the intention of having six academies (foundation apprenticeships) in place by 2020.

The Developing Young Workforce agenda is also linked to these new academies.

Recruitment for the three Senior Phase Academies is underway with a closing date of 18 March.

The courses on offer from summer 2016 are:

• Engineering

• Health and Social Care

• Built Environment

These courses were showcased at the recent Local Opportunities Event in Anderson High School. Pupil Support teachers are working with pupils considering these courses.

Paid summer jobs are in place for all those undertaking each of the three courses.

More information can be found at:

http://www.shetland.gov.uk/education/Shetland-Learning-Partnership.asp

• User deactivated 2:41 pm on January 18, 2016 Permalink | Reply  

Winter Leavers’ conference 

This event took place from 23rd to 26th November 2015 at 101 Park Street, New College Lanarkshire and was aimed at S4-S6 pupils from all 23 secondary schools who are Christmas leavers in December 2015 or who are in their Senior Phase of Learning and looking to obtain a positive leaving destination but unsure of what direction to take.

Please see the attached report with more details.Winter Leavers’ Conference Nov 2015 report

• User deactivated 2:43 pm on December 17, 2015 Permalink | Reply  

Carluke High School Careers Day 

Carluke Careers Day guides 2 Carluke High

On Thursday November 19th, 2015, Carluke High School in South Lanarkshire held a Careers Day. The event was organised by Head Teacher Andy Smith, John Shearer of Pupil Support, and four other members of staff. At this event, employers were invited to give talks and workshops with all students S1 – S6. Students signed up for a minimum of one and a maximum of four sessions, with the average being two per student.

The choice of sessions on offer were extremely diverse. These included:

• Civil engineering
    • Sports coach
    • Primary teaching
    • Hospice work
    • Retail industry
    • Electronics
    • Electrical engineering
    • Policing
    • Environmental science
    • Law
    • Marketing
    • Web development
    • Sports journalism
    • Writer
    • Pharmaceuticals
    • Doctor
    • Paramedic
    • Music performance
    • Stage manager
    • Designer
    • Finance

Prior to the event, all students chose their workshops based on their personal career interests.

There were several presenters who had personal links with Carluke High School and were supporting their alma mater:

Gordon Nelson is Manufacturing Manager at Martin Aerospace in Lanark. He is a graduate of Carluke High School and went on to complete a Modern Apprenticeship at Martin Aerospace and has worked there since that time. Also, he has a child in S6 at Carluke High and is a Scout leader to many of the S1 – S3 students in the school. Martin Aerospace currently have 12 Modern Apprentices. They take on an average of 2-3 apprentices per year for a 4-year apprenticeship and have done so since the 1980s.

Nikki Strachan is a former pupil of Carluke High School. She went on to study Geography at Strathclyde University. She earned her teaching qualification and has now taught at Carluke High School for three years.

One of Nikki’s high school classmates in Advanced Higher Geography was Fraser Russell. He also studied Geography but at the University of Glasgow and then completed a Master’s degree at Strathclyde University. He is now an Environmental Consultant at Envirocentre in Glasgow. When asked how he found out about Carluke’s Careers Day, he said, “Nikki sent me a message on Facebook!”

The keynote speaker for the day was Derek Stewart, Managing Director of Strategic Asset Managers Ltd. (SAM). Derek left school after S5 and went straight into employment in a variety of jobs. He worked his way up over the years and has now worked in Finance for 37 years. 17 years ago he set up his own business and is very supportive of work placement opportunities for students. Also, he does inspirational speaking based on his endurance competitions such as the Ironman Challenge to raise money for Maggies Centre of which he serves on the Board. The theme of his address was “Growth Mindset”.

Skills Development Scotland (SDS) were also present at the Careers Day. Helen Sutton and Adele Duffy have worked for SDS approximately 13 years each. They work in Carluke High School 3 full days a week. They provide CIAG for Senior Phase students. Also, they advise on Modern Apprenticeships in Construction, Hairdressing, Plumbing, Mechanics and Childcare. They informed us that Lesmahagow High School is going to be an early demonstrator of the Career Education Standard in April 2016 with S3 students.

At the end of the day, I spoke to a S5 student. She stated, “I still don’t know what I want to do”. But the promising news from the Careers Day is that she said she was now aware of the many pathways available to her including volunteering, work placement, apprenticeships, college and university.

As part of the Careers Day, each student completed a logbook for each session including the speaker’s name, their profession, how and why they chose their job, their qualifications and notes on the talk. Then the students linked the sessions to the subjects they are currently studying. In the logbook, they completed a list of careers linked to each subject, why it might appeal to them and how interested they are in doing that job.

• User deactivated 1:41 pm on November 17, 2015 Permalink | Reply  

Problem Solving 

Problem Solving

Food for thought…..teaching creative problem solving skills!  Skills for learning, life and work.

• User deactivated 1:34 pm on November 17, 2015 Permalink | Reply  

Listening 

Listening

Are we listening to our learners to understand their needs, desires, frustrations, concerns with regard to their learning?

Are we listening to our partners to understand what support they need with regard to DYW?

Are we listening to our colleagues to understand how we can work more creatively, collaboratively, positively together to achieve our aims and goals?

Are we listening to young people that are NEET to understand what support they still require to achieve their goals?

• User deactivated 2:31 pm on October 27, 2015 Permalink | Reply  

Purpose 

Purpose     If you are participating in the U Lab online course, you may have seen this picture posted on their Facebook page.  It really made me think not only about helping young people to find their purpose, but identifying my own personal Passion – Mission – Profession – and Vocation.  If it’s that challenging for an adult who has been through education and is in employment to identify their purpose, then how hard would it be for young people with little life experience?  I feel that it is vital to start at a very young age with CIAG to help young people identify what they love to do, what they’re good at, and what career prospects are possible and available to them.

• User deactivated 1:54 pm on October 27, 2015 Permalink | Reply  

DYW inspiration 

Changing Place art Venice     On a recent holiday, I visited the Peggy Guggenheim Museum in Venice.  There I saw the installation in this photo – “Changing Place, Changing Time, Changing Thoughts, Changing Future” by Maurizio Nannucci.  This resonat2ed with me and I thought it can easily relate to “Skills for Learning, Life and Work” with young people and DYW.  They “change place” in their progression from primary to secondary and further/higher education and training.  “Changing time” can relate to when learning occurs.  For some students this could be a mainstream route of primary – secondary – FE – HE – employment. But many students of all ages will not have a clear path such as this in their learning.  “Changing thoughts” can relate to changing people’s thoughts in relation to the Senior Phase.  Education and training is no longer just traditional Highers and then progression to university.  Learning can take place in apprenticeships, volunteering, activity agreements, other awards, work placements and more.  And finally “Changing future” – which is what we are all aiming to do with DYW to positively change the futures of young people in their education and employment.  Please let me know your thoughts on this.  Many thanks.  Scott

• K. Mayer

K. Mayer 8:37 am on September 29, 2015 Permalink | Reply
    Tags: #LE2 PPT J Bream   

Learning event James Bream

• K. Mayer

K. Mayer 8:35 am on September 29, 2015 Permalink | Reply
    Tags: #LE2 PPT   

LE2 Abd pres 292015 v2

• K. Mayer

K. Mayer 8:31 am on September 29, 2015 Permalink | Reply
    Tags: #LE2 Workbook   

DYW Learning event workbook amd KM 248 v5

c
Compose new post
j
Next post/Next comment
k
Previous post/Previous comment
r
Reply
e
Edit
o
Show/Hide comments
t
Go to top
l
Go to login
h
Show/Hide help
shift + esc
Cancel