Returning to study.

When I was told by my specialist to take time off I was upset for quite some time. It felt like something I had worked so hard for was being taken away from me. I had worked incredibly hard to gain a place at university so it was extremely frustrating to be told to “rest and take some time off”. I kept reading over my placement notes, terrified I would lose all of the skills and knowledge I had gained in that small time. The one piece of writing that really helped me however was not my lecture notes or ideas I had jotted down whilst in the classroom, but a piece I had written weeks into the course.

29th September 2014

Introduction

I am now a first year student in the University of Dundee studying for a MA (Hons) in Education. I got here as a result of hard work and determination. As a parent, wife, homeowner and working part time in my own business it was not an easy task. I had to go the Perth UHI for a year to gain higher qualifications in History, English, Maths, and Psychology. On top of this I had to ensure I had plenty of relevant work experience. Being able to balance everything whilst putting as much effort in as possible was extremely difficult at times but also very rewarding.

I was originally turned away from this course but I didn’t let it put me off. I volunteered in schools, registered as a child-minder and investigated other degree programmes that could help me on my way to reach my goal of becoming a teacher. Whilst doing all of this I kept in touch with the head of the department hoping a space on the programme would become available. Finally my hard work paid off and I was offered a place due to my high AAA grades and relevant work experience. It was such a relief to know that I was on track to reaching my goal.

I am hoping to complete this programme with the best results possible. It was my own children that inspired me to become a teacher. I had always considered it as a profession but never felt it was the right time for me. I know now that I am capable of managing my studies, family, home and my business effectively. I travel in to university every day by car, some days leaving at 8am and not returning home until 9pm. It will not be easy but it will be the most rewarding challenge of my life and right now I am enjoying every moment.

It finally occurred to me that nothing was being taken away. I was still going to achieve my goals and be rewarded for my efforts. I just had to understand that it would take a little longer than I had initially expected. This realisation followed by a meeting with lecturers Will and Carrie helped me put things into perspective. To ignore my health in stubborn defiance was not in anyone’s best interests. It would most definitely have negative consequences and make all that hard work go to waste. It was not the end of the world. I could return to university and continue on my learning journey once I was healthy and fit enough to achieve to the best of my abilities.

I am both excited and nervous about my return to university but I know I made the best decision for me. It is better to take slightly longer to achieve the best results I possibly can than to rush with terrible consequences.

One thought on “Returning to study.

1. Hi, Claire!
    This is such an inspirational post. It is incredible reading how hard you’ve worked to get to where you are today, and I am so happy for you that you are returning to work with us and continuing to aim towards your goal! It is clear you have had to make some important decisions, and I am glad you feel you took the best ones. I bet there are a lot of lucky children out there who you’ll be teaching in only a handful of years – they just don’t know it yet!
    Best of luck!
    Lauren x

Reply