Personal audit & transferable skills

Activity 1

1. Below are a list of skills and abilities. Complete an audit of where you are now. Record this in your learning journal/portfolio.

Rate yourself (1=Not very well developed; 3=very well developed)

Skills and Abilities

1

2

3

Converse Confidently  X
 Team Work  X
 Organisation and  Planning  X
 Working on Own  Initiative  X
 Giving and Receiving  Feedback                        x

Although it is important to identify where we are now, it is not enough to stop there. We need to reflect upon how we can develop the skills where we are less confident and how we can transfer the skills in which we are confident and competent.

Activity 2

Complete the audit below, using the information from the table above.

Recognition Reflection Action
Skills already developed How will I use these How do I know (evidence)**
 Converse confidently  I will use these skills when having peer discussions, giving pupils instructions, discussing working practice and sharing ideas with colleagues and discussing pupils’ progress and abilities with parents/guardians.  As part of the debating team at school I developed good communication skills and the ability to express my point in a clear and concise manner.  As part of a small higher politics class and history class, discussion was integral to our learning.  As a self-employed professional entertainer I am very experienced in speaking to very large groups of people face to face and on several radio stations.  As a parent, I learned very early on that giving clear, concise instruction and direction is also very important for young children to understand and process.
 Team Work  My experience of teamwork will be invaluable when in a school setting and throughout my time at university in order to stay safe, share best practice and problem solve.  As a team leader directing dancers, musicians, sound and lighting technicians, I have had to develop excellent interpersonal skills especially team work.  This could simply be recognising when someone is struggling to grasp an idea and working together to support them or sharing creative ideas to improve to production further.  Having previously worked in the catering industry, team work was essential to ensure the safety of everyone in the team as a kitchen can be a dangerous place if people don’t know how they fit into that space.  As a childcare worker, teamwork enabled staff to share best practice and get things done much more efficiently whilst staying as organised as possible.
 Organise and Plan  This is the most important skill I need to maintain whilst at university.  Managing a young family, home, my business and my studies whilst leaving time to enjoy leisure activities is very difficult therefore being able to manage my time effectively is essential. In the classroom this is also very important as there is very little time to fit in a lot of activity so planning and organising to best utilise that time is important  My brief work experience within the classroom required me to plan and organise lessons for small groups of children in another part of the school unsupervised.  Having my plan in front of me was very reassuring and kept me calm.  Being self-employed also requires a lot of planning as I have to make arrangements for my team to get to a specific venue in enough time to set up the stage, organise transport, accommodation and ensure there is a clear plan for the trip.  I also have to manage my own time to do administrative tasks such as tax returns, banking, and invoices.
 Work on own Initiative  As a classroom teacher there is a certain level of autonomy.  It is important for a teacher to be able to work on their own initiative when planning and carrying out lessons.  As a student, I have to use my own initiative as I am responsible for my own learning and personal development.  This will continue into my career as a teacher as techniques and practice are always changing and improving.  As a childcare worker in a small team of three, I was usually expected to use my own initiative.  I would choose an area in the hall and set up an activity for the children to participate in.  I would have to think carefully about what would challenge them but also be manageable for me to handle on my own.  As a childminder I was responsible for 6 children unsupervised in my own home and had to plan a whole days’ worth of activities to keep the children engaged and occupied.  Whenever a problem would arise, I had to think on my own about how to defuse the situation or solve the problem.
 Giving and Receiving Feedback  Whilst at university, my fellow students and I routinely read over each others’ work and comment on it’s value and how it can be improved upon.  In a primary school setting, giving immediate oral feedback is very important for children to improve and develop there skills further.  Giving and receiving feedback from colleges will also help me develop my own skills as a professional.

(update 2018) I have been working as a private higher English tutor, supporting pupils in their own homes.  This had dramatically increased by ability and confidence in providing feedback.  I have also taken valuable feedback from student and parents and incorporated this into my practice .

I recognise that I am highly critical of myself and struggle when I receive negative feedback.  I have struggled with this throughout school and further education.  I am happy to receive constructive feedback  as it offers me a way of improving.  In the lead up to assignment due dates I particularly enjoy sharing my work with others and hearing what feedback they have to offer.  I am also particularly good at pointing out the positives in others work.  During my short time on placement last year, my classroom teacher was very happy for me to mark the pupils’ work and give them both oral and written feedback.  Due to my own feelings about receiving feedback, I always used the two stars and wish approach where I pointed out two positives and one area for further improvement.

** This section should be completed as you identify when/where/how you have used/developed these skills.