History, Geography or Modern Studies….?

When I think of Social Studies my mind immediately goes back to first and second year at high school.  We would have an hour of Geography and an hour of History every week for two years.  When choosing our standard grade subjects we were only allowed to choose one from the following; History, Geography or Modern Studies.  At the time this made perfect sense to me.  I didn’t understand politics and was under the impression that this was all we would discuss in Modern studies.  I did not enjoy Geography in the slightest as I could not understand why I needed to know where all the countries were on the map or how many plates the earth’s surface was made up of.  History on the other hand excited me.  I loved the storytelling aspect of History.  Primary sources created the same enthusiasm and enjoyment that a fictional storybook from the library would.  I understood that our history shaped our present and would shape our future.  It held relevance and I could understand why I should know and understand these things.

It was not until I went to college and studies politics and history at higher level that I began to understand the importance of linking these areas together.  History shaped our political agenda and political decisions shaped history.   When I first looked at Social Studies within the Curriculum for Excellence it was a revelation.  I now cannot comprehend the idea of separating all of the different aspects of the subject.  People, place and society are all interlinked.  They should be taught as such within the classroom.

Old Photograph Burrelton ScotlandTo understand why I live in the type of house I do, I need to understand the history of my village.  I live in a 19th century farmhouse.  The reason for its particular style is due to the architecture and materials available at the time.  It was built to accommodate the people who worked on the farm and within the large estate.  As the population grew, the estate became a village with a primary school, a church, 3 public houses, 2 newsagents, a post office, a bakers shop and a butchers shop.  During the 60’s and 70’s more and more people began to own their own car.  A regular bus service was provided by Stagecoach.  The number 57 linked Perth to Dundee via several small hamlets and villages.  In time the local businesses were no longer required.  Once a self-sufficient village, Burrelton is now what I would describe as a commuting village.  Most of the residents who live in the village work in either Perth or Dundee.  There is now only one pub, a post office with a newsagents attached to it, a primary school and a butchers shop.  The church is also now linked to Cargill, a nearby village, as the parish who actually attend the church has decreased over the years.

By examining just this one small area of the country I have to look at economics, history and geography or what CofE refers to as People, Place and Society.  The farmland was chosen due to it being a flat area where vegetation could grow.  The houses were built as more people chose to live there.  As industry and technology developed and grew, commuting became more popular so the local businesses and amenities were no longer required.  These businesses are now homes.  The popularity of the Church has decreased due to various influences affecting our choice of religion, or indeed choice to have no religion.

community_cartoon_I now understand the importance of linking all of these different aspects of Social Studies.  This year I will be carrying out my professional placement in a similar rural location.  Unlike my own village, this school appears to have more facilities and is a much bigger building in general.  My aim this semester is to investigate the area as I have my own village.  This will help me to understand much more about the children in my school, their background, the physical school and the community that surrounds the school.  I am also interested to see ways I can make use of the community whilst of placement.  I would like to develop my own creativity and initiative in this area of the curriculum.  I have made some progress at present by reading several articles and books by Stephen Schoffham.  I will also observe colleagues and share ideas and knowledge with peers.  I only wish I had understood the significance of linking these subjects before but now I know, I can develop my expertise and enjoyment at the same time.