Integrated Arts – Entry 8

Music

In today’s workshop, we had a great opportunity to learn how to play a string instrument. A group of children from a local primary school in Ayrshire came into the university and taught us a string instrument, something that they get the opportunity to do in school from primary 4 to primary 7. The project that the children take part in is named the String Project. The children get the opportunity to take part in a 45 minute session in school and are only primary school in Scotland that take part in the project. The children have the chance to enter competitions and work as a team. They learn to play together as a class, and this builds many different skills such as team building skills, confidence skils, oral awareness skills and many more. This allows the children to become confident indviduals, successful learner, responsible citizen and an effective contributor( Curriculum for Excellence, 2004).

Through out the session, we had the oppetrunity to learn many different music skills such as learning notes, how to hold a string instrument, how to hold a bow, and many different musical games. It was an enjoyable experience and I think the string project should be a national innovative. Here is a video of me playing the violin pizzicato.

Drama 

In this week’s drama workshop, we had the chance to have a microteaching session. This involved teaching our peers for around 15 minutes, and also taking part in our peers lessons. We had the chance to create our own lesson plan and implement this to the class. I found this task challenging as we had to work as a team to create the lesson plan, however in the end we worked as a team very well. Other skills I used throughout this task were team management skills, good organisation skills, time management skills, and creative skills.

When teaching the class I found this very daunting. I often find it easy to stand up in a primary school class, but not a university class. As we were teaching in a team we all split up things to say and we all took control. In the end our lesson was very effective and we got some great feedback.

When taking part in other people’s drama’s I am starting to become more confident. Having an audience can be off putting but I have learned to “just go for it” and have fun. I think I will use this technique when teaching drama in the class room.

Overall, I think it is important that we allow microteaching to happen in the classroom. In both workshops today, we had other people teach us and not a lecturer. In the classroom, the children can learn a lot from one another during music and drama. Other pupils who are more musically talented can always buddy up with someone who needs extra help, and during drama, we can put people in groups who will balance out one another and help one another. For example, a kid who is more confident with a kid who is more shy.

Education Scotland (2017) What is Curriculum for Excellence. [Online] Available : https://education.gov.scot/scottish-education-system/policy-for-scottish-education/policy-drivers/cfe-(building-from-the-statement-appendix-incl-btc1-5)/What%20is%20Curriculum%20for%20Excellence? [ Accessed : 13th November 2017]