Outdoor Learning

“Learning need not take place solely within educational buildings. The outdoor environment has massive potential for learning. We are extremely fortunate to have such rich urban and rural environments on our doorsteps and our children and young people’s learning experiences can be enhanced by maximising the potential of the outdoors ( Keith Brown MSP, 2010).

As an educator I think it is crucial that we inform children that learning does not only take place inside the classroom, and that it takes place every day and especially outdoors. Adams (2008) explains that ” children are learning all the time, in any environment where they find themselves – learning does not only take place in the classroom”. 

During university, we have had lots of opportunities to experience outdoor learning. However, when in placement, I often do not see the children going outdoors often enough. I think it is important that we take children outdoors, as they can learn from what ever environment they are in. Teachers often worry about children being outdoors, and this is a perfect example of the fear of the unknown. Teachers often like the classroom as it is a controlled environment, however outdoor there are greater risks such as children falling and hurting themselves or the boundaries of where the children are allowed to wander off too.

As a future teacher, I think it is important that we take children outdoors as there are huge benefits. When reflecting on outdoor learning, I decided to incorporate this into my concrete poetry. I took my piece of work outside into the garden, and dance around it, and whenever I felt a certain way, I used this feeling to create bursts of colour and visual art! Many different type of dance can take place outside. In a matter of fact, dance outdoors is probably more effective than indoors due to the space and fresh air. This session was useful in highlighting the benefit of being outdoors.

Adams, E. (2008) Art and Design Education and the Built Environment. In Coutts, G. and Jokela, T. (Eds) Art. Community and Environment: Educational Perspectives. Bristol: Intellect.

Learning and Teaching Scotland (2010) The Curriculum for Excellence Through Outdoor Learning. [Online]. Available : https://education.gov.scot/Documents/cfe-through-outdoor-learning.pdf [Accessed : 1st March 2018]

Adams, E. (2008) Art and Design Education and the Built Environment. In Coutts, G. and Jokela, T. (Eds) Art, Community and Environment: Education Perspectives. Bristol: Intellect.