Interdependence – Log Entry 3

The Sustainable Development module has developed my skills and knowledge not only as a learner but as a student teacher. One aspect of university i find challenging is academic reading, and summarising the main points. Some readings we are given are often lengthy and i often zone out quickly. However, after an input from the academic skills advisor i was able to pick up key skills that would help me with reading such as reading paragraph’s in chunks, using a highlighter to identify the main points and researching points further that i don’t understand.

Today’s independent study task involved summarising information and to use this information to create a Piktochart. We had to work collaboratively as a team to gather the information from different sources such as videos, academic readings and various articles. I found it difficult to pick out what information was useful and relevant for the piktochart. As there were 5 of us in a group, we all took on the roll of researching 1 source each, taking notes, and then we brought our information together. The other students in my group were very supportive and helped me to understand different concepts i did not understand.

Another skill i developed through this task was my digital literacy skills. In university we often come across new online resources such as Padlet and Glow. Its often difficult to get to grips with new formats and up to date technology. Working with others allows me to ask questions and familiarise myself with new resources.

Overall, i find that i develop skills as a learner that i can use as a student teacher in the classroom. I will be able to pass these skills onto the children in the classroom to allow sufficient learning.