LEADING FOR EXCELLENCE IN SCIENCE
13-16 NOVEMBER 2016 & 12-13 MARCH 2017
SSERC is still taking applications for places on Leading for Excellence in Science course. The course carries full accreditation by the General Teaching Council for Scotland under its Professional Recognition scheme.
Our delegates will be those who have, or aspire to have, responsibility for leading science education in their establishments. Although some leadership skills are generic, there are aspects of science education which require specific leadership skills and have particular management responsibilities. These particular responsibilities, as well as wider leadership issues, will be considered in science specific contexts.
Coverage will include:
- Curriculum and course development issues with particular reference to CfE
- Areas for development identified in HMIe report Science: A portrait of current practice in Scottish Schools and The Sciences 3-18 Impact Report, 2012
- Improving learning and teaching through self-evaluation
- Approaches to managing science health and safety issues
- Science departmental/faculty issues and policies
- Leading teams and managing change
For those teaching in local authority schools or colleges funding of £1080 from the National STEM Learning Centre is available to offset the course fee (£850)
Further information from Paul.Beaumont@sserc.org.uk or via the SSERC website at http://www.sserc.org.uk/index.php/cpd-sserc/leadership-cpd.