this is a link
If you missed the 1 + 2 Factor Glow TV event then you can watch it again by clicking on the link below. In this Glow Meet you can find out more about the showcase, how you can enter and see some examples of how you might use digital technologies to support the teaching of languages within your establishment.
There are lots of resources out there for teachers to use when teaching languages such as:
Also if you look in the ap the library in Glow there are some free resources you can add to your launch pad.
What other resources have you found useful when teaching languages in school?
As part of a global economy and increasingly multilingual and multicultural society, it is essential that we equip the next generation of students with the vital skills which will allow them to succeed. Language and technology skills are an integral part of this.
The 2015 Schools Language Awards are now open – register your interest or apply now!
Why not apply to enter the 1 + 2 Factor at the same time? Both events are looking for exciting projects that encourage larger numbers of students to learn languages to a higher level.
Scottish schools who develop innovative language projects that also use digital technologies will be meeting the criteria for both events so while planning your project for the Schools Language Awards click here to sign up for the 1 + 2 Factor aswell.
The deadline for entering both events is the 30th June 2015 with the Final event for the 1 + 2 Factor on 30th September and National event for the Schools Language Awards being held in November.
The British Academy is inviting applications from schools, colleges and other education providers, including supplementary schools, that encourage excellence in language learning. A total of 14 awards of £4,000 will be made to winners around the UK, plus an extra £2,000 for two national winners.
So, children have no need to learn foreign languages? Well, all they will miss is music, poetry, theatre, humour, culture, history just to name a few fields. Not much to give up?
An interesting blog about digital literacy and the importance of language learning.
Technology can’t replace language learning but it can certainly do a lot to support it! Want to show how you are using technology to support language learning in your school or cluster then sign up to take part in the 1 + 2 Factor in Glow Scotland.
Are you interested in using a blog to promote language learning in school but you are not sure where to start? Then have a look at Blogging Bootcamp and learn from the Blogging Wizard himself!
Here you will be taken step by step from start to finsh on how to set up your own blog in Glow. From how to make you first post to how use widgets and plug ins and how to change your theme and profiles.
You could then use your blog to share the work of the classes in your school by uploading text, pictures and videos and share them with your school community, other Glow users and even the wider world.
Click on the link to find out more.
Today’s children are growing up in a multilingual world and the ability to communicate effectively is crucial if they are to play their full part as global citizens.
- The 1 + 2 approach is aimed at ensuring that every child has the opportunity to learn a modern language from P1 onwards and taking part in the 1 + 2 Factor can help you achieve this in your schools.
- We are inviting individual classes, schools or clusters to use any of the tools within Glow to create a learning space which will help in the implementation of 1+2.
- Entering the 1 + 2 Factor will allow you to become part of a community of teachers across Scotland all working together to achieve the same goal.
- You will be able to use Glow tools to create, collaborate and innovate with other practitioners across the country.
- You will have the opportunity to share your ideas about making language learning a fun and interesting experience for teachers and pupils alike.
- By taking part in the showcase you will be contributing to providing a rich bank of resources, ideas and links which will then be available for future use.
- We can link you to external enterprises and cultural organisations, who can provide you with opportunities to create real-life learning experiences
- Attendees will get to have a great day out where they will present their work in the morning then in the afternoon they will get to wander round the marketplace and take part in activities involving languages and technology.
- It’s an ideal opportunity to not only develop the language provision in your school but also to improve your school’s use of digital technology in languages and any other curriculum areas.
Log in to Glow and visit the site for ideas, resources and useful links to get your learning space going http://tinyurl.com/1plus2Factor
Questions to Chrissie Lamont Christine.Lamont@scotland.gsi.gov.uk