Book Preparation

Hi everyone 🙂

Sorry there was no post last week, we have just been so busy with our social enterprise project!

Our book has now been sent to the publishers and we are hoping to have our hands on all 300 copies next week! Exciting stuff!

In the mean time we have been working with Ben to perform our stories. We are learning these for our book launch event later this month- more info on that next week!

“We made a circle on the grass of the sensory garden that became our stage”-Zahra

“Miss Webster would read the story and we would act it out”- Mohammed

“We were using different movement for different characters”- Neha

“I was an amazing pregnant lady!” Rayan

“We worked with our p1/2 partners and we helped them. We read the story to them and they created the actions”- Amaya

We also had a visit from Selina who works for the Refuweegee charity. She told us about the kinds of things our money from our book is going to buy and how that will help the refugees in Glasgow.

The pupils of P5 in our class helped Miss Webster on Monday with a very important job. We edited the whole book!

Our final adventure we want to tell you about actually happened last week.

We have been working so hard in P.E lessons improving our tennis skills. Last Wednesday we went with Primary 2/3 to the Emirates Stadium for the Glasgow Tennis Festival

“We got to hit the ball over the net”- Zohaib

“It was a very fun and tiring trip!”- Najib-Ullah

“I liked when you had to throw the ball up, clap and catch it”- Mansoor

We can’t wait to have our book next week and sell it to all of you!

See you then! 🙂

Miss Webster and Primary 4/5

Stories and Technology

Hello 🙂

It is digital learning week this week in St Albert’s and we have been working hard with all things technical and otherwise.

Plus, the sun has been shining all week so we have spent most of our time outside!

We started the week off with a maths lesson in the back playground. We can now identify fractions within shapes and match them with equivalent fractions.

We have also been working towards our social enterprise of publishing a book of short stories. To do this we will have to raise some money. We brain stormed some different ideas of how to do this.

“We would love to throw cream pie’s at the teacher’s faces for £1 each!”- Ahsan

“We thought of holding a pupil auction where teachers can charge money for us to do jobs”- Rayan.

“We would like run some stalls.”-Neha

As part of our social enterprise we worked with Primary 1/2 twice this week.

On Wednesday we went into the front garden next to the infant playground and wrote stories about the cool tadpoles in Miss Kinloch’s class that are turning into frogs.

Then on Thursday morning we collected all of our stories with our partner and decided which one was the best. We used our digital skills to type up these stories using an I-pad and air dropped the final products to Miss Kinloch.

We had another amazing session with Ben and Sarah our storytellers.

They took us to the enchanted garden and played some games. We showed Ben and Sarah our personalised story bags and we all became dragons searching for humans.

After that, we sat round the fire pit and Ben showed us different objects from inside his story bag.

He had a metal shoe, a stinky sock, a  golden goose, a bird whistle, a badger skull, a golden kettle, a cow bell, a pocket watch, a glass bottle, a pomegranate, a sea shell, a large rock, a burned out photograph and a deer’s antler.

He challenged us to work in pairs and create a story using the object we were given.

Finally we worked as a class and told the story of “Pappa Rappa” the golden seagull by telling the story one sentence at a time and passing the seagull around the circle.

Our homework for Ben next week is to bring something small from home that could tell a story and live inside our own story bags.

Our final adventure from this week was our trip to the Tramway Theatre to learn about all things digital! We went into the main art gallery and we saw a visual exhibit about a statue who has been living for thousands of years and has seen wars, history and all sorts of unhappy things. This makes him feel sad and alone. He talks about his time alone through a variety of different speakers which are located all around the room. Opposite the statue is a projector and a screen where different images were displayed throughout his tales.

This exhibit uses a combination of visual, printing, audio and light technology. The speakers are in different areas such as inside the statue and behind the screen to make you feel as though the sound is surrounding you. The statue itself was made using a 3D printer that uses plastic. A painter then worked on it to make it look as though it was made of stone.

The piece was scary and people even got so frightened that they moved seats to be beside Miss Webster.

After the exhibit was over we went outside to the Tramway’s hidden gardens to enjoy a picnic lunch in the sunshine.

We hope you are all enjoying the sunshine and the start of Ramadan.

Don’t forget to leave a comment!

Allah hafez! 🙂

love Miss Webster and Primary 4/5

Our rainy adventure in Kelburn Country Park

Happy Friday everyone!

Despite having no school this Monday or Tuesday we have had a crazy and adventure filled few days in P4/5.

On Wednesday the whole school got on buses and drove to Kelburn Country Park for a day of exploring, learning and storytelling!

“We went on the history trail and saw a beautiful waterfall!”- Zayd

“I went to the obstacle course with my brother and mum. I loved climbing the wall!”- Aliyan

“I went to the top of the north history trail and I rolled down the hill. I got soaked!”- Najib-Ullah

“We went to see the castle that was covered in graffiti! It was so colourful.”- Sorrelle

“We went on the adventure course and it was really fun!”- Tahira

After lunch we met up with Ben the Storyteller and went dragon hunt through the Secret Forest.

We went through a tunnel that was full of colourful lights that led us to a castle. In the castle Ben told us the story about Chestnut Pudding. We loved it!

At the end of the story we found a dragon egg that was lying in a well. It hatched and turned into a red, fiery baby dragon. The dragon told us to follow its dragon scale trail to find treasure. We found the dragon scales and followed the trail through the forest and through the crocodile swamp into a cave and finally to a witch’s house. Inside the witch’s house was a locked treasure chest. Rabab found the key and we got the treasure- it was chocolate coins and our very own story bags!

From now on we are using our story bags to keep items inside to help us to tell stories.

It rained all day but we had so much fun!

The next day back at school we used our story bags in the playground with our partners from P1/2. We found lots of things that could help us to tell a story. We found coal from the fire pit, snowdrops, a butterfly-shaped leaf, bluebells and spiky leaves. We can’t wait to tell those stories!

We have been reading more of our scary class novel “The Creakers”. As it is a scary story we used some of the author’s techniques to create our own Spooky Opening Paragraphs

Don’t forget to leave a comment!

Have a fun weekend

Miss Webster and P4/5 🙂

A Week in the Outdoors

Hi everyone!

This week Primary 4/5 have spent lots of their time outside in the sunshine!

We have worked everyday with our partners in Primary 1/2 on our Social Enterprise.

After learning the Little Red Hen off by heart we were set the challenge to create a new story map with our partners only changing the main character, what they find and the 3 friends who would not help.

“Me and my partner Muhammad came up with a story about a lion cub who went to the airport”- Umarah

“Lily and I made a story about a cat called Oreo finding coco beans to make chocolate”- Sorrelle

“Me and my partner Aimee made a story about a little girl who finds a broken paintbrush”- Tahira.

The next day we finished those stories and added actions to help us to remember them when we were telling them to an audience.

“Me and Haadiya would pat our chests for the bit in our story about the hairy gorilla”- Neha

“We would push our hands apart when the story was set in the morning” -Ahsan

We then shared those stories around the fire pit to the rest of the group.

“Having the story map in front of me made it easier to remember all the bits”- Mansoor.

“Me and my partner told a story about a slippery penguin.”-Amaya

“I made up an action for the end of every story. You close your book!”-Rayan.

On the final day with Primary 1/2 we were introduced to a new way of writing stories: a story mountain.

“a story mountain has 6 steps and you write certain words at certain points in the story such as One day…, After that…. and Unfortunately”- Hamza

“The word unfortunately is at the top of the mountain to show that something bad is going to happen”- Laiyba

“It means that everything goes downhill from that point”- Zayd

We used out 1 word each stories to create something new on our story mountain pictures.

We can’t wait to work more with P1/2 and create more amazing stories together!

We have started working with Ben the Storyteller. He came to our school and showed us how stories can come from anywhere and everywhere.

Ben made a fire and told stories around it.

“We sang a song at the start and end of the stories”- Mohammed

“We talked about a magic golden ball”- Ahsan

“Ben’s stories were spectacular”-Muhammad

“They were amazing!”- Kasim

After the story telling session Ben set us homework. He gave each of us a piece of coloured felt and we had to design a shape of what might be inside his magic story bag.

Finally, we went outside to create our own Creakers based on the description of them in our class novel.

We used sticks, rocks, bark, leaves, mud and water bottled found in the Enchanted Forest to create our masterpieces.

Our certificate winner this week was Ahsan for showing integrity. Well done Ahsan!

Please remember that there is no school next Monday and Tuesday and that when we come back on Wednesday we are all going on a school trip to Kelburn Country Park. Please bring a packed lunch and a raincoat in case it rains!

Have a lovely Bank Holiday!

Miss Webster and P4/5 🙂

Happy Friday! :)

Hello everyone!

It has been yet another busy week from P4/5.

We started the week with a cricket taster session with a professional cricket coach.

We worked around 4 stations. 1 was for throwing beanbags to the opposite team, 1 was for throwing the cricket ball to hit the wickets, 1 was for dribbling the ball with a cricket bat around an obstacle course and the final 1 was for catching a cricket ball inside of a cone.

“It was super fun!” Najib-Ullah

“I enjoyed throwing the bean bag to the other team” Sorrelle

“It was great” Simmal

“My face in the picture with the cone tells you how much fun I had!” Zayd

We have also been continuing our work on multiplication and division. We  are ready to start our fractions topic next week.

Mohammed has worked so hard on his maths this week he can now do his two times tables completely independently. Well done Mohammed!

We have been learning how to create story maps for our social enterprise project. A story map uses pictures instead of words to help us to tell a story our loud.

Can you guess which classic tale these story maps are based on?

Finally we started our group social enterprise project with P1/2 this week. We have all got a buddy from that class and have spent some time getting to know each other.

“My partner’s name is Lily and she used to have a pet cat!”- Sorrelle

“My buddy’s favourite food is pizza”- Simmal

“My partner’s name is Jay and he likes sandwiches”- Aliyan

“Me and my partner speak in Urdu together”- Saad

“I already knew my partner, we go to karate together!”- Kasim

“My buddy’s favourite food is fish, colour is blue, subject is maths, toy is a rocket, game is about cats and he has one sister and one brother. “- Najib-Ullah

We were working together to tell stories, P1/2 used their class story map to tell us the story of the Little Red Hen. We were so impressed that they could all remember so many words and actions, we had to have a go as well!

We can’t wait to do more work with P1/2 and write stories together.

Our certificate winner this week was Hamza for always being respectful  to his classmates and teachers.

Have a happy Friday!

Here’s something to make you smile, it certainly cheers us up!

We love you Zayd! 😛

From Miss Webster and Primary 4/5

Term 4 has started!

Welcome back everyone!

We are excited to be back at school after our holiday. The sun has been shining all week as we have been starting our new learning adventures!

In Numeracy we have been learning and revising our times tables in preparation for learning about fractions this term.

The square group used cubes to help them to learn the 2 times table.

“I now know that 2×5 is 10!”- Mohammed

“I found the cubes helped me to remember the number I was working on”- Rabab

“I now know all my two times tables off by heart!”- Simmal

This week we had a music lesson with Ms Brackenridge. We learned a new welcome song that has the word “hello” in lots of different languages.

“Bonjour is French!”- Rosemary

“Salam Alaikum is may peace be upon you in Arabic. We all knew that one!”- Zayd

Buenos dias is Spanish!”-Mansoor

“Guten tag is German”- Aliyan.

We were also learning about rhythms and beats in music. We had to walk in a circle to the beat of a song and switch partners on the 4th beat of every bar.

Finally we sat in a circle with our hands making a chain. We had to pass a bean bag around the circle to the beat of a different tune.

We ended the session with our favourite goodbye song!

Our new class novel is Tom Fletcher’s ‘The Creakers’.

“It is a mystery and a scary story”-Laiyba

“The story is about a girl who wakes up and finds that her parents and all the grown-ups are gone”-Rayan

“The Creakers took them away!”-Umarah

The Creakers sneak into your house from the floorboards under your bed. They do this when you are sleeping so they have to be very quiet. The writer uses lots of different adjectives to describe how the Creakers move and talk.

We went outside to find different things in nature that would represent how the Creakers would sound. Here are some of our findings:

We can’t wait to find out what happens next in the story!

Don’t forget to leave a comment!

Happy Friday! 🙂

Primary 4/5 and Miss Webster

Happy Easter!

Happy last week of term 3! We have had an exciting week filled with fun and adventure!

We created our own advertisements and recorded them with their own jingle and videos.

Back in November our class won the Turner Prize Modern Art Competition. This week we finally got to redeem our winnings with a trip to the Hollywood Bowl! We each played bowling, had fun on the arcade games and were treated to a delicious lunch before coming back to school for a cosy movie afternoon!

“Kasim beat the whole class at bowling!”- Muhammad

“It was great fun!”- Neha

“The chicken nuggets were delicious”- Amaya

“My favourite part was playing in the arcade”- Mansoor

“We got to spend time with our special guest- Miss Rooney!”- Tahira

“I loved playing the piano video game with Tahira”- Umarah

“It was a special day”- Mohammed

“I enjoyed playing pool with Zayd and Najib-Ullah”- Rayan

“It was a fun and nice day”- Rabab

“I enjoyed playing the motorcycle game and winning first place!”- Najib-Ullah

Finally, we celebrated Easter this week by designing our own “hipster bunnies” using different patterns in black and white.

Don’t they look cool?

We had an excellent term full of laughs, learning and fun. We are excited about the holiday and can’t wait for term 4!

Now we’re off to hunt for Easter eggs!

Happy Easter!

love Primary 4/5 and Miss Webster

A Cosy Friday

Welcome back to p4/5s blog!

We have been learning lots this week.

We have been continuing to study advertising with Mr McCormick. We were working in pairs and using the recording equipment to record our voice speaking about what we like and dislike about certain products. We even got to make our own jingles on the keyboard!

“We learned how to switch the buttons on and off”-Neha

“I said that I liked football into the microphone”- Mohammed

“It was cool to get use the computer and piano”- Aliyan

“It was awesome using the microphone” -Simmal

“It was weird because at first we didn’t know what to do. But we learned how to use it correctly”- Amaya.

It was finally warm enough to get outside this week!

“We played rounders and it was fabulous!”- Rabab

“My team played better than the other team”- Rosemary

“The team I was in kept on winning!”- Tahira

“My team caught the ball 3 times!”- Najib-Ullah

Wednesday was Down Syndrome Awareness Day. To raise awareness we wore odd socks!

Friday was pyjama day! We wore pyjamas to school to raise money for Mary’s Meals!

“It’s so comfy!”- Neha

“Pyjamas are so warm!”- Sorrelle

“I even brought my house coat and blanket!” -Simmal

Our certificate winner this was Mohammed Ahmed for being inclusive. Well done Muhammad!

Thank you for reading. Don’t forget to leave a comment!

cheerio! 🙂

A six-day week! 12/03-17/03

Hello everyone!

We have had another crazy week in Primary 4/5.

We have been learning all about advertising with Mr McCormick and this week we studied adverts on tv and in magazines. We had to decide if certain adverts had catchy slogans or phrases, bright colours or language that would attract attention such as a joke!

In literacy we looked at the book “Into the Forest” by Anthony Browne and used drama to predict what we thought would happen next in the story.

We created still pictures to show both characters and objects. Doesn’t Laiyba make a great tree?!

We have also been looking at different adjectives as a way to improve our writing. We were set the challenge to think of as many different adjectives as possible. We did this competitively as P4 were up against P5. As a whole class we thought of 437 different adjectives (isn’t that amazing/ spectacular/ exciting/ wonderful/ awesome/ cool/ incredible!) But in the end P5 were triumphant!

Finally, we want to tell you about Rayan’s incredible award. He and Miss Webster and Miss O’Hagan  went to an award ceremony on Saturday morning where Rayan read a poem he wrote in Arabic in front of hundreds of people! Rayan’s poem is featured in the Mother Tongue, Other Tongue Anthology of 2018. He is a published writer! Well done Rayan!

Our certificate winner this week was Simmal who created some excellent sound shakers for Science week!

Don’t forget to leave a comment!

P4/5 and Miss Webster

Welcome to March!

Happy Friday!

We have had a busy and exciting start to Spring this week in Primary 4/5!

As we were snowed in last week we celebrated World Book Day this week instead. We have been studying the work of Anthony Browne and did some drama based on his book “The Tunnel”.

First we split into groups and were  asked to describe the two main characters: the brother and the sister.

We decided that the brother was mean, nasty and rude and the sister was quiet, unhappy and shy.

We then split into twos and one person played the role of the brother and the other was the sister. We had lots of fun shouting at each other in character.

After that we went back into our groups and created still pictures of what we thought would be beyond the tunnel that the characters crawl through. Some of us thought there was a spooky forest and other thought there was a cave. Sorrelle’s group even thought there would be a luxury cinema!

Thankfully we read to the end of the story and discovered that the scary forest was not real!

In literacy we have started two new topics: Advertising with Mr McCormick and Descriptive Writing with Mrs Kerabi.

Mr McCormick had us try to sell his bunnet as a multi-purpose bargain! Hamza decided it was a mobile phone, Rayan thought it made a great toothbrush and Najib-Ullah was willing to throw in a free sponge with every purchase!

During our descriptive writing lesson we learned about similes and metaphors. We used these techniques to create stories about a winter scene.

In maths we are continuing to learn about time. We played some different games to help us to remember where the hands go on face clocks at different times of the day.

The triangle group successfully matched their time dominoes with digital and face clocks. Well done Triangles!

This week for our Migration topic we have been studying the country Syria. Hamza and Rayan both migrated from Syria to Scotland with their families. We looked at the artwork of Syrian artist Khaled Takreti. He believed he should use his art to express how important it is that Syrian people are listened to. He does this by collaging together images of technology that makes sounds. We created our own versions of these!

Finally, we were able to visit the Tramway this Friday to see our art exhibition which we worked hard to create last month.

Our certificate winner this week was Najib-Ullah. He delivered an amazing presentation about the life of bees and how to make fair trade honey. Well done Najib-Ullah!

We also had a special birthday this week, Zahra turned 10! We had a class party with cupcakes that Zahra brought in! Happy Birthday Zahra!

Don’t forget to leave us a comment on our fabulous learning!

Primary 4/5 and Miss Webster