In 2019/20 the PEPASS Team appointed 10 Modern Apprentices. The apprenticeship is a two year programme were the 10 MA’s will complete an SVQ Level 2 in Sports Coaching while gaining practical experience within the PEPASS Team.
Each MA has been paired with an Active Schools Co-ordinator who mentors the MA on a daily basis; delivering in their cluster schools during curricular time supporting Leadership programmes and Out of School Hours delivery; breakfast, lunchtime and afterschool physical activity and sport clubs.
They are also tasked with organising their own PEPASS projects as well as organising and assisting in the delivery of area and city wide PEPASS events, such as the Glasgow Schools’ Gymfest, Triathalon, Super 7 Athletics and City of Dance Finals. The Modern Apprentices contribute greatly to the Health and Wellbeing of pupils across the city.
The programme is supported in partnership with Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Guarantee and Sportscotland.
What is a PEPASS Leadership Modern Apprenticeship?
A two year paid Modern Apprenticeship that:
- Provides opportunities for young people engaged in sports leadership skills who are not in higher education, taking up employment or in training
- Provides young people with the learning, qualifications and vocational training required by employers
- Inspires young people to engage in sports leadership roles
- Enables young people to reach their full potential
What will a Modern Apprentice achieve?
MA will achieve a Modern Apprenticeship Qualification in Active Leisure, Learning and Wellbeing, working specifically towards an SVQ Level 2 in Sports Coaching. As well as training and qualifications from Sport National Governing Bodies and Partner Agencies.
Key Responsibilities of a PEPASS Modern Apprentice
To support and assist the delivery of PEPASS Programmes in our establishments.
Develop skills in advanced leadership including coaching, officiating, organising events, decision making and being an Ambassador for sport within our schools.
Key areas of focus:
- Participation of pupils
Support pupils to grow their leadership skills in the school setting through sport and assist in building a pathway of leadership for our schools.
To do this MA’s work alongside the Active Schools team to:
- Enhance the delivery of the Glasgow Schools Sports Leaders programme, linking directly with Active Schools Coordinators and associated schools.
- Work with Active Schools, PE departments and pupils to establish a leadership plan.
- Assist with Secondary school departments leading on Sports Leadership targeting S1-3
- Assist with Primary schools leading on Sports Leadership targeting P6/7
- Assist in establishing an Integrated Young Persons Leadership group (City PEPASS voice)
- Support Active Schools to enhance the training and support for young sports leaders in the city
- Assist in the coordination of Sports leaders/Young Ambassador to influence and lead on school sport delivery and events
- Support leadership opportunities to create a legacy to support future participation and improve employability skills
- Support and enhance the participation of pupils; breakfast, lunch time and after school clubs
- Assist in targeting the inactive in PEPASS programmes
- Support and organise PEPASS events
- Monitor and evaluate the PEPASS programmes and use this information to inform planning and programming
- Represent PEPASS as appropriate at meetings, conferences and other appropriate events