Assembly: Review of School Improvement Plan (3rd Feb 2023 and update at 3rd March)

At assembly today we did a mid-year review of our school improvement plan.

We spoke about what has been done under each priority heading:

We are becoming a French Speaking School

All children in Nursery and P2-7 are having experiences within French and we are following an agreement made with all the schools in the Madras Cluster which will mean all P7s go up to Madras with the same vocabulary and understanding.

We are becoming a Writing School

All primary children are having good writing experiences in class and writing in a range of genres. P2-4 are trialling some work helping them to think about their writing journey which supports them to improve their pieces. All children are more aware of the feedback they get on their learning (through Our School Our Feedback) and this supports progress in writing.

We are becoming an Outdoors School – we know what subjects we are learning outdoors and how our skills are building.

All children have been learning out of doors in the school grounds, in the streets around the school and at Waterloo Woods. They have been learning in Science and Maths and are developing skills in road safety (Bikeability for P5/6/7 and as pedestrians for P2/3/4) and Teamwork.

Our Parents know about our learning and they can help us learn.

Nursery parents have been to peep and Bookbug and are invited in for soft start. P2/3 parents came in to learn how to use the Read, Write, Count bags with their children. P2-7 parents came in for a Spelling Frame workshop. We shared learning in RME, Literacy, Drama and Music at the Christmas Concert and in Literacy, Art  and Dance at the Ceilidh. We share learning and targets on Seesaw and all children can share learning at home though Sumdog, SpellingFrame and their Reading Books.

The next step for our display in school is to put us evidence of the impact on children. We started talking about this today:

One child said ‘I didn’t use a lot of punctuation in my work but now I do.’ Another said: ‘I didn’t know how to say my birthday in French but now I do.’ A third said: ‘I know to Stop, Look and Listen now’.

The children will continue to talk about this in class and we display their ideas which you will see the next time you are in school. It would also be good to talk about this at home.

Moving forward, we will continue to work on these priorities:

• We have a STEM afternoon and Parent-Teacher meetings planned for P2-7 (the calendar is here

). Nursery Bookbug, peep and shared starts will continue and there will be parent chats this term.

• The teaching staff will be making increased use Fife Council Modern Language progression pyramids to deliver the grammar and vocabulary agreed within the Madras Cluster.
  • We will be exploring a skills progression and outdoor learning accreditation.
  • We will be continuing to work hard to raise attainment in writing by providing good quality inputs and feedback and by offer interventions as needed.

We also celebrated some personal achievements at Assembly today – these have been shared on Seesaw.

Bonni and Lewis had awards for living our values of Teamwork, Curiosity and Enthusiasm. Well done to them both!

Update on 3rd March

Children have been busy adding ideas to the School Improvement Plan wall to show how the improvement work is impacting on them. Here of some of the ideas:

‘I couldn’t write a biography but now I can.’

‘We share our work on Seesaw and our parents give us feedback.’

‘Seesaw lets our parents see what we are learning and how we can improve.’

‘We can have a small conversation in French.’

‘I’m better at maths because I did it in a creative way in outdoor learning.’

Nursery have also been busy evaluating their parental engagement work. Thank you to all the parents who helped with this. Please read the wall when you are in for Bookbug, Peep or Shared Start.