Pupil Lockdown Fitness Stories – Naomi Fisher

During lockdown, I have tried to stay active as much as possible, including using my once a day outside activity either running or walking my dogs.

Although I was ill for a time with a virus at the start of lockdown (not sure if it was THE virus or not), for the past 4 weeks or so I have tried to exercise / train at least twice a day.

This has also coincided with me getting a new canoe sprint coach who has been setting me a land based, six days a week training plan designed to increase my endurance, technique and strength until we get back on the water to paddle.

A typical week for me can include 3 or 4 runs (6km, 1500m – I am currently doing this in laps around one of the football pitches in Douglas Park), 3 or 4 Gym sessions (mix of strength and cardio work – I do this with equipment I have at home) and 5 ERGO sessions which can either be longer distance or repeated short sprints (this is a paddle machine similar to a rowing machine but for kayaking).

I use a GPS heart rate monitor to record my sessions and to stay within the required level for the session which is set by my coach.