Staff Lockdown Stories – Mr Binnie

Throughout lockdown I have been trying to find lots of different ways of looking after both my physical and mental health. It is important that we try to find some structure and routines during this time but also take advantage of the extra time we have to do things and spend time with family.

Most mornings, I will start the day by doing a work-out, something I do a lot more regularly compared to before school closures as I now have extra time and no excuses not to. I have mainly been going for runs on my treadmill or using the multi-gym that I have in the garage; however, I have also been doing the Joe Wicks daily workout on occasion.

I am making sure to look after my mental health by both engaging my brain and taking time to relax as well as enjoying spending time doing other activities. I am using the time to read more books than I usually would. I really recommend ‘First Man In’ by Ant Middleton (from SAS: Who Dares Wins). The book gives a real insight into how to be an effective leader and how to work well with other people.

In my free time, I have been going on daily walks with my family – overall, we have been very lucky with the weather during lockdown which has allowed me to explore more of my local area and make sure I am getting plenty of fresh air and exercise. I have also enjoyed watching the return of live football through the Bundesliga and have decided on Hertha Berlin as the team I am going to follow for the remainder of the season.

I hope everyone is staying safe and staying active.

Mr Binnie